The Director of Communications leads the building of Women for Women International’s visibility and reputation. The Director is responsible for designing and implementing WfWI’s’ strategic communications outreach in media, as well as executive and expert communications. The key objective for the Director of Communications is to use communication strategies and techniques to increase the visibility of WfWI in the media for the purposes of garnering grassroots financial support, visibility and recognition among institutional donors, policy makers, and thought leaders, and to continue to position WfWI as a global leader in the women’s empowerment sector.
Communications and Public Relations
Planning and budgeting
- Develop a strategic PR & communications plan that increases WfWI’ visibility and positions WfWI as a go-to organization in women’s empowerment for the media, in all its forms.
- Develop and execute communications strategies to reach new audiences, with a primary focus on new donor and programmatic partners.
- Develop and execute communications strategies to expand existing audiences, with a primary focus on sponsorship/grassroots supporters.
- Ensure articulation of WfWI’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout WfWI globally, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Coordinate media interest in WfWI and ensure regular contact with target media in internal, national and major regional news media covering international development and/or women’s empowerment issues, and appropriate response to media requests.
- Act as the WfWI’s representative with the media.
- Identify and train spokes people
- Identify opportunities for advancing WfWI’ mission through speaking engagements, the media with op-eds, letters to the editor, blogging, ‘tweeting’, and other forms of digital communications.
- Oversee development of organizational communications, including press releases, media advisories, talking points, key messages, speeches, and testimonies.
- Responsible for all editorial direction, design, production and distribution for organizational print and online materials, including annual reports, organizational brochures, country profiles, issue-specific fact sheets, programmatic profiles, letterhead, and other materials for broad general use.
- Provide technical assistance, counsel, and resource materials to country offices to assist in the marketing, communications, and positions of their activities.
- Represent WfWI in a variety of community outreach activities, meetings, and public forums; speak to groups and individuals regarding WfWI's activities and mission.
- Monitor trends.
- Responsible for the achievement of communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to management.
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the communications/ public relations program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the communications/public relations function.
- Develop and manage an annual media calendar that supports the annual communications strategy for the entire organization including US, UK, and Country Offices, taking into consideration major events and campaigns.
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations, not-for-profits, international development, and women’s empowerment and use this information to help WfWI operate with initiative and innovation.
- Work with senior staff, other staff and leadership volunteers to: develop and maintain a strategic perspective -- based on marketplace and constituent needs and satisfaction -- in organizational direction, program and services, and decision-making; and ensure the overall health and vitality of the WfWI.
- Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from the WfWI’s key internal/external constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services and the WfWI’s relevance.
- Help formulate and administer policies to ensure the integrity of WfWI.
- Act as an internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to institutional priorities.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and develop qualified personnel, including one paid staff member and volunteers/interns.
- Ensure effective management within the communications/ public relations function.
- Support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout WfWI.
- This position participates with the Board of Directors, President and Chief Executive Officer, and other management staff in charting the direction of WfWI, assuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its effective operation.
- Within WfWI, the position has primary working relationships with the President and Chief Executive Officer, global leadership team, staff of marketing, development, strategic initiative, and UK teams.
- The position coordinates, primarily, with the media.
- Minimum of 7-10 years experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in an NGO, agency, or international development sector.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations preferred. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
- Demonstrated skills, or and experience in the design and execution of communications and public relations activities.
- Demonstrated successful experience in working with corporate partners and celebrities.
- Demonstrated successful experience in implementing successful PR campaigns for direct response/grassroots fundraising drives.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel.
- Ability to advance creative approaches to increase media exposure in lifestyle media and news media, in print, broadcast and online
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, op-eds, blogs, use of social media, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Computer literacy in word processing, data base management and page layout.
- A strong interest in international women’s issues, including war, economic development, health and human rights
- A commitment to the mission of WfWI
- Occasional out-of-town, overnight travel is required.
- Experience working with volunteers is desirable.
*This job description may be modified from time to time in the discretion of WfWI*
- May require bending, lifting, standing, sitting, computer work, etc.
***NO THIRD PARTY CALLS OR EMAILS****
Join Women for Women International. Since 1993, we have empowered thousands of women survivors of war and distributed millions in aid. -...