Virginia Natural Gas,
and AGL Resources Company
, provides natural gas service to approximately 280,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the Hampton Roads area of southeastern Virginia. The company continues to be one of the fastest-growing natural gas distribution companies in the country. Services include:
- Maintaining the gas pipeline infrastructure
- Operating a 190-mile high-pressure intrastate pipeline originating in Quantico and terminating in Norfolk, Virginia
- Operating two propane storage and vaporization facilities and a Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) facility located in James City County and Chesapeake to supplement natural gas supplies as needed
- Responding to and repairing gas leaks
- Selling natural gas service to residential, commercial and industrial customers
- Providing customer service and billing customers for gas service
- Offering online customer information about natural gas and gas-fueled products
Virginia Natural Gas contributes to the communities it serves through employee volunteerism and donations to energy assistance programs and nonprofit agencies.
More information on AGL Resources' Virginia utility can be found at
Directs and manages efforts to ensure VNG is in compliance with state and federal operational utility regulations. Includes oversight of Transmission and Distribution Integrity Management Plan and reporting/responding to external regulatory inquires/notices involving operations and pipeline safety. Directs Operational Quality Assurance Program for VNG through the Distribution Quality Assurance Program Manager while directing the corrosion control program through the Corrosion Control Supervisor. Directs the Distribution Integrity Management Program (DIMP) through VNG’s DIMP Manager.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures VNG compliance with all applicable operational related regulations, codes, and standards (e.g., federal and state Department of Transportation (DOT) Pipeline Safety, Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency/Department (EPA/EPD), State DOT).
- Ensures compliance by conducting supporting audits and quality reviews.
- Leads the VNG development and execution of both the Transmission Integrity Management Program and the Distribution Integrity Management Program with assistance and integration with AGLR Service Company representatives. Includes directing internal line inspection and complex data correlation processes post inspection.
- Accountable for Transmission and Distribution system integrity and corrosion control capital projects ranging from $15 million to $20 million annually. - Works with AGLR Service Company representatives to oversee performance of VNG system reviews to consider pipeline leak history and other pipeline attributes, corrosion control data and other factors to guide overall system maintenance and renewal to optimize safety, reliability and efficient system operations. (DIMP)
- Guides Field Operators to practice and implement best practices and processes.
- Directs the VNG Corrosion Control department to insure optimal system performance and compliance to code. Works with AGLR Service Company representatives for technical guidance as needed to implement industry best practices and emerging technologies to optimize safety, reliability and efficient system operations.
- Works with others to translate state and federal regulations into VNG/AGLR policies and procedures through the development of the following Company manuals: Operations, Safety, Environmental, Field Service, etc.
- Assists in management of Operator Qualification (OQ) program at VNG; supports compliance and ensures applicable field employees are trained, qualified, and tested.
- Represents VNG and serves as liaison to Pipeline Safety Regulators in Virginia and resolves escalated compliance issues and/or questions from regulators. Communicates both orally and in writing to external regulators and officials.
- Facilitates and assists with code compliance with local, city, and county code standards; works with municipal officials on various code issues (e.g., use of certain piping).
- Prepares, administers, and is responsible for capital and O&M budgets. Monitors and directs budget activities to ensure fiscal compliance with the financial plan. Provides explanations on variances and takes appropriate action to control expenditures.
- Responsible for staff selection, development, and retention. Establishes and monitors work goals and objectives. Coaches, provides feedback, and evaluates performance of staff and takes appropriate actions.
- Follows organizational policies and procedures and ensures VNG is in compliance with applicable codes and standards both internal and external.
- Provides coaching and development to staff to ensure optimal team productivity and career development.
- Collaborates with operations leaders to communicate compliance metrics and performance drivers.
- Directs a highly skilled and effective team that delivers impactful programs and services in highly regulated environment.
- Responsible for compliance with and successful completion of all state and federal legal settlements pertaining to operations.
- Provides direction and serves as a subject matter expert for IMP, DIMP, operations, and corrosion control plans.
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in Engineering
- 12+ years progressive experience in Gas Operations, Engineering, and Management
- Demonstrated knowledge of Company policies and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of pipeline safety policies, procedures, codes and standards
- Experience in compliance work, corrosion control and pipeline system operations
- 5+ years of supervisory/management experience
- Masters degree
- 15+ years progressive experience in Gas Operations, Engineering, and Management
- Demonstrated continuous learning in field(s) related to this job
- Equivalent academic education and experience
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with regulators and other stakeholders
- Ability to interpret and apply federal and state regulations
- Must work well within short deadlines
- Analytical problem solving and ability to determine root causes
- Crisis management
- MS Office Suite - intermediate proficiency
- Project management
- Business process re-engineering
- Standards development
- Experience using compliance tracking systems
- Professional engineer license
- NACE certification
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Keyboarding = Occasional 1-33%
- Travel = Occasional 1-10%
- On-call = 24/7/365 as member VNG leadership team
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
AGL Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
AGL Resources - 18 months ago
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...