Directs and manages efforts to ensure compliance with state and federal pipeline safety utility regulations including execution of VNG’s Transmission Integrity Management Program (TIMP) and Distribution Integrity Management Program (DIMP). Oversees reporting/responding to external regulatory inquires/notices involving operations and pipeline safety. Directs operational Quality Assurance Program and the Corrosion Control Program for Virginia Natural Gas.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures compliance with all applicable operational related regulations, codes, and standards (e.g., federal and state Department of Transportation (DOT) Pipeline Safety, Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency/Department (EPA/EPD).
- Ensures compliance by conducting supporting audits and quality reviews.•
- Leads development and execution of both the Transmission Integrity Management Program and the Distribution Integrity Management Program with assistance from AGL Resources Service Company representatives. Includes directing internal line inspection and complex data correlation processes post inspection.
- Accountable for Transmission and Distribution system integrity and corrosion control capital projects ranging from $15 million to $20 million annually.
- Using data such as pipeline maintenance history, corrosion control data and other factors, works with team to determine operational risks on the system and ways to mitigate those risks to optimize safety, reliability and efficient system operations.
- Guides field operators to practice and implement best practices and processes.
- Directs the VNG Corrosion Control department to insure optimal system performance and compliance to code. Works with AGL Resources Service Company representatives for technical guidance as needed to implement industry best practices and emerging technologies to optimize safety, reliability and efficient corrosion control system operations.
- Works with others to translate state and federal regulations into VNG/AGL Resources policies and procedures through the development of applicable procedure manuals.
- Assists in management of Operator Qualification (OQ) program at VNG; supports compliance and ensures applicable field employees are trained, qualified, and tested.
- Represents VNG and serves as liaison to Pipeline Safety Regulators in Virginia and resolves escalated compliance issues and/or questions from regulators. Communicates both orally and in writing to external regulators and officials.
- Facilitates and assists with code compliance with local, city, and county code standards; works with municipal officials on various code interpretations/ issues.
- Prepares, administers, and is responsible for capital and O&M budgets. Monitors and directs budget activities to ensure fiscal compliance with the financial plan. Provides explanations on variances and takes appropriate action to control expenditures.
- Leads and develops staff of approximately 10 employees to achieve optimal performance and employee development. Establishes and monitors work goals and objectives. Coaches, provides feedback, and evaluates performance of staff and takes appropriate actions.
- Follows organizational policies and procedures and ensures VNG is in compliance with applicable codes and standards.
- Collaborates with operations leaders throughout AGL Resources to communicate compliance metrics and performance drivers.
- Provides direction and serves as a subject matter expert for TIMP, DIMP, QA/QC, and corrosion control programs.
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in Engineering
- 12+ years progressive experience in Gas Operations, Engineering, and Management with at least five years of experience supervising employees
- Demonstrated knowledge of pipeline safety policies, procedures, codes and standards
- Experience in compliance, corrosion control and pipeline system operations
- Masters degree
- 15+ years progressive experience in Gas Operations, Engineering, and Management
- Demonstrated continuous learning in field(s) related to this job
- Equivalent academic education and experience
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with regulators and other stakeholders
- Ability to interpret and apply federal and state regulations
- Must work well within short deadlines
- Analytical problem solving and ability to determine root causes
- Crisis management
- MS Office Suite - intermediate proficiency
- Project management
- Business process re-engineering
- Standards development
- Experience using compliance tracking systems
- Professional engineering license
- NACE certification
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Keyboarding = Occasional 1-33%
- Travel = Occasional 1-10%
- As member of leadership team, position is subject to call 24/7/365
More about Virginia Natural Gas Operations:
- Serves over 280,000 customers through over 5,200 miles of distribution main and 180 miles of transmission pipeline.
- Operates two pipeline compressor stations.
- Operates propane storage and vaporization facility to supplement natural gas supplies as needed.
- Virginia Natural Gas contributes to the communities it serves through employee volunteerism and donations to energy assistance programs and nonprofit agencies.
More information on Virginia Natural Gas and AGL Resources can be found at
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
AGL Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
AGL Resources - 4 months ago