Position is a key member of the Vernon Operations Leadership team, responsible for engineering leadership, talent development, and overseeing the activities of our engineering organization supporting the Vernon Commercial Products Organization (CPO) and Nuclear Products Organization (NPO).
The position will report directly to the Vernon GM, with matrix reporting relationships to the platform VP, Engineering, in particular Custom Engineered. Reporting to this role will be the CPO and NPO Product Engineers, Specialty Engineers and Test Engineers, with an approximate total organization of 20 direct employees. Engineering staff which supports the day to day production, e.g. Project Engineers, Design Engineers, Drafters, Instrumentation & Control Engineers, & Packaging Engineers will directly report to the CPO/NPO Directors responsible for P&L, and indirectly report to the Engineering Director for technical direction and engineering process/design standardization.
The position will be located at the Vernon facility providing ready access to our engineering and manufacturing as well as our customers. Travel would be approximately 10% of time and include training, customer/sales interaction and select meetings associated with the leadership position.
Related to Engineering Leadership:
1. Actively functions as a key member of Vernon Leadership Team.
2. Align site engineering efforts to support the platform's Engineering strategy and organization's business requirements.
3. Sets site Engineering priorities and support product management across disciplines.
4. Establishes and reviews standards for engineering policies, procedures and processes to insure the highest quality engineering throughout the division.
5. Identifies key engineering roles and competencies required for those roles. Actively recruits and develops talent for fill those role, both in area of responsibility and on a global basis. Designs engineering organization to meet the business and technology needs of the organization.
Related to the Vernon Facility:
1. Leads the engineering team in support of manufacturing and sales organizations to ensure the annual operating plan is achieved, including performance testing and customer service activities, providing technical leadership for the Vernon organization.
2. Develops engineering policies, standards and processes for the organization and partners with CPO/NPO Directors,divisional and platform leadership to ensure implementation and compliance.
3. Bridges engineering activities and maintaining consistency between CPO and NPO.
4. Builds a highly responsive and technically strong, engineering organization.
a. Sets and achieves engineering goals in support of overall operational and departmental objectives, including 95% on-time performance to customer request date, targeted reductions in order lead time, and engineering design and capability support to customer service order acquisition and sales.
b. Drives the effective utilization of capacity planning and business forecasting tools to identify and address current and anticipated gaps in engineering capacity, and leverage engineering resources as appropriate to augment capacity.
c. Plans and implements standards for provisioning and maintenance of engineering design and analytical tools, engineering database control, and test equipment capacity
6. Specific needs requiring immediate attention include:
a. Understanding and addressing the engineering organization structure in CPO and NPO.
b. Ensuring adherence to the conceptual, intermediate and critical design review policy.
7. Defines, plans and implements product engineering strategies in CPO & NPO.
8. Drives the development of talent within the sites, including attracting, developing and retaining engineering talent at all experience and competency levels through performance management, succession planning, and employee learning and development.
a. Supports the development of technical knowledge through training and implementation of a technical knowledge base structure.
b. Leads the establishment, documentation, and tracking of training requirements by person and function in order to maintain compliance with ISO and related certification requirements.
c. Leads design centers to ensure that next generation of hydraulic designers are prepared to lead hydraulic design activity for Vernon.
Qualifications and Experience
· The ideal candidate has a significant technical engineering experience and sound knowledge of state-of-the-art engineering practices.
· Minimum of 10 years’ experience in engineering management role in a manufacturing or manufacturing service environment, with a minimum of 5-7 years of current/recent experience in the pump or rotating equipment field.
· They have shown success in developing and improving engineering discipline in the rotating equipment manufacturing industry.
· The ideal candidate has successfully demonstrated the capability to create and manage an engineering organization, which has been acknowledged for achieving high professional standards. In doing so, the incumbent should also have demonstrated their ability to put together and developed well-functioning international teams.
· Exposure to working in international, matrix structured organisations.
· The candidate should be experienced in introducing improvements to processes, operations and practices that improve engineering performance and accuracy.
· With their engineering background, potentially complemented with a management degree, the ideal candidate will have a broad and solid understanding of technologies, trends, tools, methods, processes, etc. in manufacturing, combined with a good commercial understanding.
· A university level engineering degree required, with a Master Degree desirable.
· Experience in low-to-medium volume production of engineered or highly engineered equipment with sales volume of at least $100M annually and a workforce &
· Extensive experience in design engineering of centrifugal pumps and pump systems including engineering analysis and experimental techniques for root cause analysis (RCA) and design verification.
· Proven technical engineering and advanced mathematical concepts experience:
· Exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutation
· Application of mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Flowserve - 15 months ago
Flowserve is pumped about flow control equipment. After reorganizing in 2010 the company operates through two segments. Flow Control...