The Enterprise Division manages the largest and most dynamic clients at athenahealth. These clients often have multiple c-suites in geographically dispersed locations. Enterprise clients are growing through acquisition and/or consolidation strategies. These clients are usually leading change in the industry and are considered thought leaders.
These characteristics represent considerable challenges, requiring a seasoned team that can manage through the politics and complexity. The Director (Client Development) leads such a team of 4-6 senior account managers. The director is assigned a book-of-business ($25M-$35M) to manage and is given targets for growing the business.
The Director (Client Development) ensures the team manages and acts in a consultative manner across an assigned book-of-business to ensure clients optimize financial and clinical performance using AthenaNet products and services. The Director (Client Development) is expected to be able to articulate and communicate the athena POV on key business processes, practice management, and workflow issues.
The Director (Client Development) may begin involvement with their client during the sales and implementation process and is responsible for the development and maintenance of the client relationships and strategic relationship plan.
The Director (Client Development) oversees all aspects of client interaction, develops meeting agendas and leads meetings involving Athena operations, sales, services, contract negotiations, finance, consulting, and support personnel. The Director is responsible for ensuring that client contract terms are met. The Director in conjunction with the VPCD has regularly scheduled partnership governance and business review meetings with the client’s C-Suite and strives to become their trusted advisor.
The Director (Client Development) is a highly-skilled professional with a depth of industry experience and a demonstrated history of accomplishment in a leadership, change management, and organizational dynamics. . The Director is an integral member of the Leadership team and, as such, acts in a collaborative manner to drive the successful attainment of individual and team goals.
The Director will report directly to the Vice President of Client Development.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
· Develop and maintain relationships with key client contacts that fosters an environment to drive client performance and minimize attrition risk (e.g. health system level executives and CXOs);
· Implement and participate in conjunction with the VPCD in a thoughtful client / athena governance structure which ensures both companies leadership, management and day-to-day operations remain in-sync and drive value creation for both companies.
· Oversee client and practice level performance reviews (clinical and financial) conducted by the account managers;
· Develop and maintain an understanding of best practices & POV to use in coaching our clients to success and clinical practice changes to optimize CBO and clinical performance;
· Help achieve department scorecard goals including client satisfaction, revenue and performance metrics;
· Create and identify X-sell/up sell opportunities for Athena products & services; work w/Sales to track operations and help facilitate &/or guide the sales process per assigned quota;
· Ensure timely preparation and completion of required department materials such as monthly Account Management Reports, Relationship Plans, Client Day Account Review Plans, Socket Analyses, Executive Briefing Documents, and Visit Summaries.
· Oversee the management of client-facing account services projects while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction including independently developing, managing and owning overall project plans and timelines for key deliverables;
· Work with the Vice Presidents and Directors in Client Operations, Sales, Consulting, Professional Services, Customer Services, Operations & Product Development, Product Strategy, Legal, Process Innovation, and Custom Reporting to continually deliver client satisfaction with Athenahealth’s products and services;
· Advocate for client recommended product and service enhancements to athenahealth Product Enhancement Board;
· Understand and ensure ongoing adherence to clients' contract terms;
· Maintain an understanding client’s market and ability to discuss healthcare industry changes;
· Enforce company's policies and procedures as articulated in the Policy Manual, Compliance Plan and any other departmental policy documents;
· Demonstrate commitment to Athena’s Corporate Compliance Code; including escalation of all compliance issues through the chain of command and to the company's Compliance Officer and/or General Counsel;
· Other duties as assigned including the management of internal projects
· Direct a team of account management staff in the performance of the prescribed segment model for servicing their respective clients
· Direct and oversee work associated with key meetings and events: Partnership Governance, Business Reviews, Client Day, SCF, Institute, etc.
· Mentor, coach and supervise account management staff in the performance of their client account management tasks, revenue up-sell, attrition prevention and other duties.
· Drive on-boarding of new team members
· Serve as escalation point for client issues
· Assist in the development of the account management role and help define the value it brings to athenahealth and our clients
· Address/request need for new staff as client base grows based on staffing model
· Interview prospective account manager candidates and make recommendations for hiring
· Complete performance appraisals for team members.
The ideal Director candidate has the following background and experience:
· BS & Advance Degree Strongly Preferred
· 12 Years Minimum Professional Experience
· 3 – 5 Years of Working Knowledge of Revenue Cycle, Commercial Insurance / Managed Care, and/or exposure to EMR in a Sales, Services or Implementation Capacity
· A Demonstrated History of Accomplishment in a Leadership Capacity or Successful Change Management. This could be achieved in a top-tier consulting firm or having implemented change in a physician practice environment
· 3 – 5 Years of Specific Experience in Account Management or a Customer Service Capacity
· 3 – 5 Years of Specific Experience in Direct Sales, Sales Engineering or a Demonstrated Ability to Influence Decisions
· Team and direct report management experience
· Strong organizational, oral and written communication, and presentation skills
· Some travel (~ 50%) may be required
athenahealth, Inc. - 18 months ago
athenahealth knows that managing physician practices can result in a splitting headache, especially when patients are late paying bills or...