Director, Global Materials & Sourcing
Veeder-Root supplies and integrates the broadest range of new and proven technologies to reduce cost of ownership, enhance environmental integrity, and improve performance and profitability for petroleum marketers and commercial fueling enterprises worldwide. Veeder-Root is the world's leading supplier of automatic tank gauging and fuel management systems and one of the few companies in the industry to design, manufacture and service its own products. Veeder-Root presently has tank monitoring systems in more than 500,000 underground storage tanks around the globe. Veeder-Root products and services are being used to meet the regulatory compliance and business management requirements of major oil companies, large truck fleets, car rental companies, airports, package delivery companies, federal, state and local governments, public utilities, industrial companies, and thousands of small underground and aboveground storage tank owners.
Purpose of Position: The Director, Global Materials & Sourcing provides strategic vision to all aspects of Materials management as well as Sourcing/ Procurement for Veeder-Root Operations globally. Provide direct oversight of associated functions at Altoona and coordination of functional activities to all Veeder-Root operations, not limited to Catlow and VRPE China. This position will offer managerial direction and leadership to the Materials/Purchasing teams consistent with Danaher core values and operating philosophies. This position requires implementation of world class tactical materials/purchasing processes as well as contribution to a VR strategic procurement process. The Director, Global Materials shall embody a high level sense of urgency, with a results oriented focus to drive Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and Inventory performance, thereby driving business Growth.
• Lead the Internal Logistics & Planning team and the Sourcing & Procurement teams through their respective leaders, with attention to developing leadership and functional bench strength.
• Provide strategic and tactical interface to achieve VR procurement objectives (PPV, VAVE, Supplier PPM, Sourcing risk mitigation).
• Deploy process enhancements to assure timely materials availability to production teams, reducing downtime and improving factory On Time delivery performance.
• Manage Veeder-Root Operations logistics to achieve on time delivery goals, aggressive cost reduction.
• Continue to refine master scheduling and PSI processes to drive effective business decisions related to materials flow, supply chain responsiveness and inventory performance.
• Drive sourcing initiatives to increase supply chain flexibility and responsiveness to market demand.
• Identify and drive appropriate Level 3 Policy Deployment goals and countermeasures in support of Level 1 & 2 objectives
• Provide cross-functional materials and purchasing leadership for new product introduction, engineering change and cost reduction initiatives across the VR Global supply chain.
• Implement and maintain the Danaher Material Process (kanban principles) and appropriate DBS tools/principles to ensure continuous improvement related to Inventory, OTD and cost performance.
• Actively participate in and/or lead continuous improvement teams (kaizens) in support of company objectives.
• Develop and drive execution of sound internal logistics strategies to reduce waste and improve materials flow.
• Responsible for department budget development and performance.
• Provide motivational leadership and communication to all functional associates to ensure understanding and attainment of key performance (objectives safety, quality, delivery, cost and inventory) and materials/ sourcing plan.
• Develop and improve team performance by providing requisite training, coaching and counseling. Foster the development of a high performance team.
• Ensure a safe working environment and administer compliance with company policies and procedures; and lead the deployment within the department. • Serve as a key member of the senior operations leadership team and help foster a spirit of DBS across the organization.
• Reports directly to the Vice President of Global Operations and supports VR executive staff.
• Works directly with VR Vice President of Operations, Finance leadership, VR Purchasing leaders/buyers, Altoona Materials leadership/planners and other managers within the VR operations.
• Direct oversight over Altoona Purchasing Manager and Internal Logistics Manager; dotted-line oversight over supply chain resources of all other Veeder-Root entities.
• Actively supports focus factory managers/production leadership and other supply chain customers.
• Interfaces with other GVR and DHR sourcing leaders.
Measures of Performance
• Performance to PD and KPI objectives for VR Global Operations.
• VR Operations On time delivery performance.
• VR Operations Inventory performance consistently meets/ exceeds business targets.
• Margin expansion through aggressive execution of Global PPV funnel and LCR sourcing.
• Product development project success related to supply chain quality.
• Product development project success related to schedule performance
• Improve Global Supplier Quality Measure.
• Progress to mitigate supply chain risk.
• Performance to PD and KPI objectives for VR Global Operations.
• Improvement in spend with Preferred/Qualified suppliers.
• Suppliers Best Cost/Low Cost Sourcing (BCR/LCR).
• Spend on P-Card/DPO improvement.
• Execution of Internal Logistics and Material Flow strategies.
• Achieve departmental budget and drive materials department expense reduction.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
o LCR sourcing or management.
- 4-year college degree in Engineering or Business.
- Master’s degree in business or Supply Chain Management preferred.
- Eight (8) to Ten (10) years of directly related operations experience, at least five of which should be within the SCM function.
- Proven track record of driving for results and continuous improvement around Supply Chain metrics.
- Expertise in materials management and procurement including:
o Supply chain management and improvement.
o Sourcing cost-benefit analysis.
o Kanban/JIT o MRP
o ERP use and/or deployment o Lead time reduction.
o Toll-gate / New Product Development (NPD) process experience.
Personal Trait Profile:
- Credible functional and business leader - Possesses functional pedigree to support expertise. Demonstrates sound leaderships practices that instill trust, engagement and dialog within and outside of their team.
- Intellect / Critical Thinker: Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills, quickly understands the details of the business and supports the team in formulating and executing on path to success.
- Conviction: understands the business and engages peers and leadership in critical, constructive dialogue on challenges, resource requirement, risks and tradeoffs. Supports team in making critical trade-off decisions. Takes responsibility for their decisions and countermeasures appropriately.
- Personal agility: Achieves results through other across cultures, geographies and organizational levels. Can work with a wide variety of personalities effectively. · Influencing skills: effectively drive results within and outside formal chain of command and across geographic and cultural boundaries.
- Communication skills: Delivers balanced messages that engage the team on a group and individual level. Establishes and communicates organizational vision.
- Energy & drive: Thrives in a results oriented, dynamic, fast-paced environment, while focusing on stabilizing processes.
- Talent Development: Effectively assesses, develops, retains and hires human resources to drive organizational capabilities of delivering on short- and long-term goals. Makes difficult decisions and/or has critical conversations as required.
- Educated Risk taker: Listens and understands the business and process, but challenges the status quo. Takes appropriate risk after understanding potential implications.
- Integrity: achieves objectives through creativity, continuous improvement and hard work. Models the behaviors expected of a DHR leader.
Microscopes that let researchers see life at 100 nanometers in three dimensions. Dental diagnostics that spot decay as it forms, enabling painless, noninvasive treatments. Disinfection technologies that help ensure safe drinking water at the rate of billions of gallons of water a day. Transaction systems that bring new levels of speed and security to consumers. Network analyzers that link seamlessly with sophisticated software to maximize uptime.
Danaher products span some of the most demanding applications in the world, creating new possibilities not only for those who use them, but for millions more who never give them a moment’s thought. In every case, they’re delivering benefits that matter to markets that are eager for innovation. And we are doing it through a customer-centric approach that unites our businesses and has made them global leaders.
Danaher has a proven system for achieving performance: the Danaher Business System (DBS). It drives every aspect of the group’s culture and performance. DBS is a system of continuous improvement and is used to guide and measure everyday activities.
Danaher’s business activities encompass four reporting segments and are comprised of seven strategic platforms: Medical Technologies (Life Sciences & Diagnostics and Dental), Professional Instrumentation (Environmental, Test & Measurement), Industrial Technologies (Motion, Product ID, Focused Niche Businesses) and Tools & Components (Mechanic’s Hand Tools).
Supply Chain / Logistics
North America-United States-PA-Altoona
Danaher - 18 months ago