The Director of Housing Services manages the daily operations of both Landlord and Participant-related functions as part of AHA’s administration of the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP). The director provides technical and administrative leadership to its management and staff, including recruitment, training, and professional development of direct and indirect reports.
Major functional responsibilities include: waiting list administration, intake and eligibility, relocation and contract termination opt-out projects, regular and special voucher issuance and management, Participant briefings and education, program and emergency moves, reasonable accommodations, portability, annual and interim re-certifications, compliance and terminations, Property Owner eligibility and HAP contract execution.
This individual oversees the development and implementation of operational process improvements that reflect industry best practices and leverage technology to create an efficient, accurate, and customer centric operating environment. This position requires an individual who can translate strategic corporate vision into an operational plan and understands that the primary objective of Housing Services is to enable success and improve self-sufficiency for HCVP Participants. Individual must also be creative and innovative, can recognize, recruit for and nurture these capabilities in subordinates, and can focus their creative energy on the development and implementation of unique programmatic solutions using AHA’s Moving to Work regulatory flexibility, and support other AHA strategic initiatives.
. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides leadership, daily supervision, performance management, and training and professional development for managers in the Housing Services group.
· Directs and guides the staff acquisition process to ensure that the skills and abilities of each new hire are aligned with the Core Competencies defined for Housing Choice. Works to resolve resource and staffing issues. Makes decisions regarding new hires, transitions, and terminations.
· Prepares annual performance reviews and compensation recommendations for direct reports; oversees performance evaluation process for the entire Housing Services function; reviews and approves evaluations prepared by managers and team leaders; makes recommendations for employee development and performance improvement; coordinates with Human Resources and Housing Choice training coordinators to plan appropriate training sessions; coaches and motivates direct reports and other staff; facilitates and supports growth opportunities for high potential staff.
· Establishes and exemplifies the standards for delivering courteous, competent, and professional, customer service to Participants, Landlords and other stakeholders; monitors staff interaction with Participants and Landlords to ensure employees meet customer service expectations; empowers managers to take immediate steps to address service delivery issues and to provide pro-active service recovery.
· Represents the Housing Services group to internal and external constituencies; attends meetings, conducts presentations, and represents the interests of the HCVP; responds to inquiries and requests for information.
· Establishes and nurtures partnerships with stakeholders to ensure that Housing Choice Participants have access to available family self-sufficiency training and support services; promotes the development of new training / support services to address the evolving needs of Housing Choice Participants; conducts briefings for Participants; articulates the vision and coordinates the implementation and enhancement of web-based tools to serve Participants.
· Ensures preparation of daily, weekly and monthly management and operations reports for all assigned areas of responsibility; analyzes reports and develops metrics that monitor production levels and identify trends; delivers oral and written status reports to AHA senior management.
· Provides direction for continuous process improvement; coordinates the development and implementation of new / enhanced processes and systems with key internal stakeholders; fosters the use of technology to create operational efficiencies.
· Leads the development and implementation of updated department policies, procedures, work processes, letter, forms, and checklists, including revisions to the Statement of Corporate Policies Governing the Housing Choice Tenant Based Program , Housing Assistance Payments Contracting, Housing Choice Operations Manual, and Participant Handbook; reviews and approves all forms, letters, and other documents used in standard operating procedures.
· Responsible for timely and accurate follow-up to complete tasks; opens, reviews and acts upon all electronic and paper correspondence within established timelines; assures that all correspondence issued is correct and accurate.
· Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in business, real estate or public policy, social work or other related field required. Seven (7) or more years of progressively responsible experience, with at least five (5) years managing a major program 3,000+ clients. Significant experience in managing and developing subordinates is essential. Master’s degree is a plus.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Proven leadership and management skills.
· Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and proficient at short term and long term planning and budgeting.
· Ability to promptly acquire working knowledge of AHA policies and procedures, federal, state, and local statutes / regulations related to the Housing Choice Voucher program.
· Ability to promptly acquire knowledge of AHA’s network of strategic service providers and effectively coordinate with these resources to improve participant success and self sufficiency.
· Expert knowledge of management and leadership theories and techniques in an operations setting.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills; extremely attentive to detail and accuracy and capable of creating and delivering persuasive business communications; edits the work of others; transforms complex information into simple, readable communications; creates complete and understandable policy and procedure documents.
· Develops positive working relationships with clients, co-workers and executive management with a high-level of collaboration.
· Proficient with industry standard computer applications, including word processing, financial management and presentation software (e.g. Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
· Ability to promptly acquire functional proficiency with proprietary applications that support Housing Choice business processes.
· Ability to organize and plan activities of immediate subordinates while maintaining strong personal organizational and planning skills.
· Ability to plan, coordinate, lead, supervise, and assess the work of subordinate staff and others, including the effective use of problem-solving and conflict resolution techniques.
· Able to work well in a fast-paced environment, juggle many priorities and handle stress in a professional and positive manner.
· Expedites issue resolution with various internal and/or external parties; negotiates solutions and solves problems.
· Demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness and commitment to quality work.
· Demonstrated skill in developing long and short range plans, setting priorities and meeting work schedules.
· Addresses controversial topics with tact and diplomacy.
· Maintains a consistent overall focus on outcomes.
· Occasional home visits and local travel may be required. Must have a current, valid State of Georgia driver’s license.
· Formal certifications may be identified and required as necessary.
Generally works in office environment. Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time. Must be able to work in a deadline-focused and fast-paced environment. May also make home visits. Must have a valid State of Georgia driver’s license and be fully insurable for the purpose of obtaining clearance on company “Authorized Drivers List”. Must be able to work in a deadline-focused and fast-paced environment. Occasional overtime as required to meet workload demands.
· Drive for Results
· Business Analysis
The Housing Authority of the City of Atlanta (AHA) - 21 months ago