Director, Internal Audit
Reports to: Vice President, Internal Audit
Location: Cheshire, CT
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients with severe and ultra-rare disorders through the innovation, development and commercialization of life-transforming therapeutic products. Alexion is the global leader in complement inhibition, and has developed and markets Soliris® (eculizumab) as a treatment for patients with PNH and aHUS, two debilitating, ultra-rare and life-threatening disorders caused by chronic uncontrolled complement activation. Soliris is currently approved in more than 40 countries for the treatment of PNH, and in the United States and European Union for the treatment of aHUS. Alexion is evaluating other potential indications for Soliris and is pursuing development of other innovative biotechnology product candidates in early stages of development. Further information about Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can be found at: www.alexionpharma.com .
The Director, Internal Audit is a pivotal member of the Internal Audit team, with responsibility for front-line management and hands-on execution of key internal audit initiatives. In fulfilling these responsibilities, the Director reports to the Vice President of Internal Audit, frequently leading project delivery in support of annual internal audit plan. The Director will also develop strong partnerships with business leaders to support services provided to other departments, including Finance, Legal and Information Technology. In addition the Director will also establish and maintain a strong collaboration with the company’s external auditor to perform audit activities in an efficient manner. The successful candidate should have a specific background in audit including experience with the Sarbanes Oxley Act as well as experience in some aspect of the healthcare and/or manufacturing arena. Additionally the candidate should have a demonstrated track record of advancement and possess the ability to provide pragmatic internal control recommendations that add value to the organization. Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities are also required. The candidate should also be willing to travel approximately 35% to support the successful completion of the annual internal audit plan. Finally, the successful candidate should have the ability and desire to eventually assume another position within the organization outside internal audit.
- Design procedures that provide assurance to management, the Audit Committee, external auditors and shareholders that operations, financial statements and reports comply with company policy, as well as generally accepted accounting practices.
- Oversee the creation of internal accounting controls that ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley legislation and that safeguard company assets. These will cover programs for accounting, financial, information systems, and operational controls.
- Ensure the execution of a systematic, disciplined and balanced approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of processes, internal controls, risk management and governance processes and adding value to support further global scalability by identifying audit recommendations to support both corrective action and process improvements.
- Coordinate Internal Audit activities with those of the external auditors to ensure proper audit coverage, eliminate duplicate efforts and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of audit activities. Possess the ability to align the Internal Audit and SOX activities with the external auditor’s independent plan.
- Partner with functional leadership and their staff in developing strong, professional and independent relationships to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the business to enable value added recommendations that improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Lead both the preparation of comprehensive written reports and Internal Audit team members in partnering with the business to implement recommendations in an efficient and reasonable manner.
- Oversee the execution of other tasks or special projects when required by management, such as due diligence reviews, fraud investigation, etc.
- Promote high levels of ethical awareness and conduct within the company and allocate resources towards conducting investigations of potential ethical concerns and/or conflicts of interest.
- Maintain a dialogue with other industry colleagues from professional audit organizations and commercial enterprises. Keep abreast of industry issues and trends in order to proactively shape Internal Audit practices and procedures.
- Combined minimum 12+ years of experience in audit and control functions.
- Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical experience required
- Must possess excellent project management skills with the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Prior experience attracting, leading and retaining a high performing Audit team
- Must possess a thorough understanding of financial audit principles and the Sarbanes Oxley Act balanced with a demonstrated ability to understand key business drivers and issues having successfully implemented those principles in a complex global environment.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to build effective and long standing partnerships across the organization at all levels, particularly with senior management, operating business leaders, and line executives.
- Must possess the ability to provide value added recommendations that will support the long term growth of the business via process improvements that truly enhance the business; quickly identify hidden values in the business and know how to leverage or unlock it.
- Must be able to make a meaningful contribution to drive results in the organization. Will be well versed in performance management and have the capability to be a strong business partner within the organization. He or she must be able to “deep dive” into the details of the business while staying focused on the big picture and be able to conceptualize both problems and solutions.
- Must possess the highest professional and personal standards, unquestioned integrity and business ethics. Demonstrated ability and courage of his or her own convictions and adhering to strongly held principles and values – and hold others to the same standards. This person must be prepared to define their position on significant issues and drive change when necessary.
- The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, energetic and possess a natural curiosity to learn. They will see this role as an opportunity to understand and appreciate the nuances of Alexion’s global business platform, providing them with the skills to further their career within Alexion.
- Relevant experience with a Big Four accounting firm and/or experience within an Internal Audit department of a large multinational company.
- Undergraduate degree in Finance or Accounting or related discipline.
- CPA is required.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Alexion, please visit www.alexionpharma.com or download our App for iPhones and Blackberries.
Alexion is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative action employer
Alexion - 11 months ago
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Alexion) is a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery, development and delivery of biologic...