The Director, Investor Relations is responsible for key functions and initiatives within the Investor Relations Group. Working as part of a close and collaborative team, the Director, Investor Relations creates, plans, and executes Vertex investor relations programs to effectively deliver product, program or corporate messages to key audiences in order to achieve Vertex corporate and strategic goals.
The Director is expected to develop key communications strategies addressing the Wall St. audience and shape cohesive communications plans as part of a cross-functional process that includes Vertex development teams, senior management, and legal and regulatory functions. The Director should have a strong background in financial modeling, financial reporting, and accounting.
KEY CAPABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
o Understand Vertex business, culture and market
- Using background and skills, helps to develop and implement strategic plan for investor relations as Vertex transitions to being a global, multi--product company
o Identify communications needs
o Define objectives and goals
o Prepare plan, execute, and ensure goals are met
o Formulate original ideas, create outline, compose, revise and edit
- Draft and edit communications materials including press releases, conference call scripts, Q&As, and backgrounders to achieve communication plan objectives
o Work effectively with others to finalize content and text
o Coordinate with graphics through publication phase
o Devise plans for distribution and supervise implementation
o Build relationships cross-functionally (legal, regulatory, communications, commercial, government affairs) that enable accurate, efficient and optimal creation and delivery of key messages
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- Contributes significantly to reports and briefings to senior management and board of directors
- Responsible for the development and implementation of new communications initiatives
- Identifies key issues and opportunities for Vertex's investor communications and develops innovative investor relations strategies and programs accordingly
- Participates in financial strategy and execution of corporate finance and M&A
- Participates in strategic and tactical planning
- Oversees the activities of staff and adapts deployment of staff to changing ?priorities, to ensure that key goals of all projects are met on time
- Ensures individual goal setting is effectively linked to corporate and department goals
- Provides staff with insightful guidance to succeed and grow
- Monitors industrywide investor relations developments and provides guidance ?when necessary
- May construct draft budgets and manage the execution of approved budgets ?
- Acts as corporate spokesperson to institutional investors and analysts as ?approved by management
- Conducts detailed analyzes to support communications with sell--side analysts, investors and other key stakeholders
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Proven ability to effectively articulate a department perspective on issues related to investor relations in interdisciplinary internal meetings or to external parties
- Proven success integrating the activities of distinct functional groups across multiple projects
- Exhibits a robust understanding of industry financial, standards and practices
- A more experienced mentor who effectively effuses confidence and team ?commitment
- Exhibits a record of excellent operational and ethical standards
Preferred education and experience:
- This position is not eligible for relocation*
MBA, Master's or equivalent
10+ yrs of relevant work experience, in investor relations, finance and/or on Wall St., with a demonstrated understanding of the biotechnology industry.
Embody the Vertex Core Values of Uncompromising Commitment to Patients, Fearless Pursuit of Excellence, Innovation is Our Lifeblood, and "We" Wins
Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, MA, we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist, For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals - 30+ days ago
Vertex Pharmaceuticals aims to cure patients with previously incurable diseases. The biotechnology company uses an integrated,...