The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) is a nonprofit scientific and charitable organization founded in 1996 whose mission is to ensure the development of safe, effective, accessible, preventive HIV vaccines for use throughout the world. IAVI will help advance the development of an AIDS vaccine by: 1) Adding value to the HIV vaccine field by identifying opportunities and gaps in vaccine discovery and development where IAVI’s capabilities can best be leveraged and add the most value, 2) Partnering to advance quality HIV vaccine candidates to the clinic, 3) Ensuring that investments in HIV prevention and AIDS vaccine R&D remain central to the public policy and international health and development agendas by serving as a voice for the field in partnership with stakeholders and donors. IAVI is a young, dynamic and mission-driven organization, and the work environment is fast-paced and intellectually stimulating, relying on the good cheer and high level of collaboration amongst its committed staff members.
Job Title: Director, Knowledge Management & Information Technology
Location: New York, NY
Summary of role:
The Director of Knowledge Management & Information Technology helps the organization achieve its strategic goals by planning, managing and implementing the priorities and activities of knowledge management and information technology. This includes identifying opportunities where efficiency and effectiveness can be improved through the use of technology to support IAVI’s vaccine R&D activities, finance and operations, regional programs in Africa, India and Europe, and External Affairs.
IAVI recognizes that each candidate brings a unique set of skills/areas of knowledge. The candidate we are looking for should have a good combination of the following:
- Determine the vision, annual work-plan and longer-range goals of the KM/IT department consistent with IAVI’s Strategic Plan and in consultation with the chief financial officer. Responsible for the implementation and execution of these plans, including budgeting, personnel management, vendor relationships and infrastructure acquisition and support.
- Advise senior management on options for using technology effectively with an eye towards future trends and cost effectiveness. IAVI is committed to leveraging cloud computing and external resources where possible, while maintaining essential and/or cost-effective internal assets as needed.
- Ensure continuity of computer services by providing necessary contingencies for disaster recovery and appropriate levels of redundancy. Work with the chief financial officer to make business-based trade-offs that are appropriate for the risks and the costs incurred.
- Work with IAVI staff to support and promote the use of collaborative tools and business intelligence software to enhance sharing of information among internal teams and with external partners; place high priority on being an effective partner internally and externally
- Work with Communications and other relevant departments to manage and update IAVI’s Intranet and Extranet portals
- Support computing and knowledge management needs of field offices in the United States, Europe, Africa and India
- Ensure that policies and procedures are in place that are appropriate to proprietary and confidential systems (e.g. financial and regulatory databases), and that responsibilities and access are defined in simple, transparent terms to meet the business needs of the organization
- Recommend, review and approve acquisition of computing and telecommunications hardware, factoring in trends toward outsourcing, cloud computing and the rapidly changing IT field
- Oversee IT security and risk management and be prepared to make security recommendations based on cost-benefit analysis
Experience, Skills and Abilities
IAVI operates as an intense mission driven organization trying to solve one of the most difficult and important scientific and policy challenges of our time, as a result passion for the mission is a critical attribute.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience; Master’s degree preferred
- 5-10 years KM & IT experience, with budget and personnel management responsibilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate complex technical information to non-specialists including senior management decision makers and staff users
- Team player who views KM & IT as an essential service role with an eye to long-term improvements that enhance efficiency and effectiveness toward achieving IAVI’s mission; demonstrated ability to work in a partner-oriented environment
- Demonstrated capacity for analytical assessment of real-world technical options; demonstrated experience making business-oriented recommendations that are cost-effective and appropriate for a small, global organization
- Solid understanding of current state of hardware and network systems; experience supporting Internet/Intranet infrastructure and applications
- Enthusiasm for keeping abreast of latest trends in the field with an ability to make appropriate recommendations for IAVI’s needs
- Experience in a customer-oriented organization where maintaining a database on external relationships through an electronic KM system is desirable
- Experience with one or more of the following systems: Agresso ERP, MS Office 360, MS Sharepoint, MS Dynamics CRM, MS Azure, others, is desirable
- Experience with laboratory information management systems and the transfer and storage of data in an FDA-regulated environment is a plus
- Experience working with offices in the developing world (sub-Saharan Africa and India) is a plus
- May periodically require travel to offices and sites.
- Perform other related duties as required to accomplish the objectives of the position.
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative - 19 months ago