Director, Labor Relations
The Director, Labor Relations will provide strategic human resources and labor relations leadership to business groups across S&P Capital IQ, S&P Indices and S&P Ratings through the application of best practices in collective bargaining and the creation and maintenance of influential
relationships with union representatives.
The role serves as chief negotiator, and oversees all contract interpretation and administration, and ensures compliance with applicable laws and policies.
The director ensures alignment of labor relations initiatives with overall business and corporate strategy.
A breadth of knowledge in the industry, business, and all functional HR areas is required for success.
This person must demonstrate the ability to partner with HR business partners, senior business leaders, Centers of Excellence, global shared services and external resources to drive labor relations plans and programs in a complex environment.
- Partner with businesses on strategic workforce design for Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)-represented employees, including organization, needed competencies and expense objectives.
Develop all business rationales for organization restructure.
- Partner with COE’s to ensure appropriate (contract-specified) performance management is in place to drive business results.
- Hold a leadership role in change and culture management initiatives that result from acquisition or divestiture, restructuring, employee engagement survey or other change initiatives.
- Provide solid HR metrics and value-added analysis of these to client group management, to enable effective HR related decisions.
Use metrics to understand trends and make recommendations to business leaders.
- Partner with Talent Development COE on talent assessment, review and succession planning processes, as needed.
- Manage overall employee relations environment by partnering with Employee Relations unit to ensure fair, timely resolution of all employee issues and complaints across the CBA-represented employee population.
- Define a consistent labor relations strategy through consultation with Business leadership; Ensure execution of all key initiatives in support of overall strategy.
- Direct the integration of business priorities, standards and objectives
in to the bargaining unit
- Serve as a spokesperson for the negotiation of the CBA and other major negotiations.
- Oversee all collective bargaining, contract administration, dispute resolution, and grievance and arbitration processes
- Proactively lead as key representative in the employer-union relationship to ensure effective relations and achievement of business objectives
- Direct experience of 10+ years as a chief negotiator and labor relations director.
- Strong understanding of industry, competitors, customers and business strategy
- Ability to anticipate trends, changes and repercussions; bring HR point of view to business decisions
- Must be a relationship builder and business ally with a strong ability to influence senior management on Human Resources and business issues and decisions and transfer it to HR strategy and results.
- 10-12 years of operational knowledge at least one of the areas of staffing, rewards, talent development, organization development.
- Exceptional communication, influencing, facilitation and presentation skills are necessary to actively communicate with all levels of management, staff, outside agencies and customers to drive business results.
- Strategic planning, creative and innovative thinking skills, along with high intellect and sound judgment with a track record of getting results.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to execute large-scale initiatives in a complex, matrix global environment while maintaining focus on the business and its customers.
- Bachelor’s degree required in an HR or business-related field with significant coursework in labor management. Advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use metrics for fact based decision-making.
Corp Human Resources
McGraw Hill Financial
McGraw Hill Financial - 17 months ago
McGraw Hill Financial is a high-growth, high-margin benchmarks, content and analytics company serving the capital and commodity markets....