Job Description Summary
This position works for Babson Global.
The Director will lead the design, implementation, management, and continuous refinement of the measurement and evaluation system for one of the Colleges major initiatives. Specific responsibilities include: working in close collaboration with the National Director of the Program as well as M&E field staff employed by regional site partners to gather, organize, store, and analyze performance monitoring data collected locally; sharing performance monitoring findings with the leadership team, partners in the field, and other funders/stakeholders; making recommendations that will allow the GS Foundation to refine and improve program design; guiding any formal impact assessment work and additional research; capturing and sharing important knowledge with key internal and external audiences via publications, speaking conferences, etc.; and assisting the other initiatives as they develop and refine their own monitoring and evaluation systems.
Leadership of M&E activities:
- Define the program’s metrics, data collection instruments, and reports; constantly seeking opportunities to segment, streamline, and simplify what partners are asked to collect.
- Measure the program’s outcomes and recommend improvements based on data analysis.
- Manage the initiatives performance monitoring IT data system, working with the company’s technology staff to ensure a user-friendly, reliable, and secure interface for inputting and analyzing data.
- Conduct sophisticated analyses for the initiative and on behalf of partners to understand the drivers of outcomes.
- Work directly with site teams to collect, analyze, and manage data including refining, implementing, and communicating processes that ensure partners’ performance measurement data submitted on time, validated, and in appropriate format; conducting site visits to key partners to ensure reported data is accurate and provide on the ground training and oversight; train the program officers to integrate M&E into their programmatic site visits; managing the “learning community” of partners through coordination of gatherings, learning calls, and online best-practice sharing portals.
- Partner with the program officers and site Executive Directors to use measurement for program management including ensuring that program implementation is consistent across sites and achieving results; and extracting and identifying implications form the measurement findings and formulate recommendations that support partners to refine their individual programs.
M&E Strategy and Knowledge Sharing:
- Develop and implement trainings and ongoing professional development for M&E activities of the regional delivery teams.
- Lead ongoing efforts to recruit and evaluate performance of M&E activities of delivery teams.
- Train and mentor regional delivery teams to perform routine and ad-hoc analysis of performance monitoring data that supports improvements at the individual partner and beneficiary levels.
- Engage, guide, and motivate regional delivery teams to instill a deep sense of connection and common purpose around M&E operations.
- Develop system of comprehensive reports for the initiative that: follows a prescribed and executive timetable; reports the outputs and outcomes of the initiative and individual partners; synthesizes across the complexity of M&E findings to identify key insights and implications that inform the initiative’s key decisions; and recommends improvements to the measurement system itself.
- Identify the appropriate junctures to engage third-parties to conduct impact assessments; identify, onboard, and coordinate with these third-parties as they establish technical design and methods, undertake their field work, review findings, and distill key messages for internal and external audiences.
- Develop a broad and strategic knowledge sharing plan; draft (and manage partners to draft) articles, white papers, and other publications that share important findings in targeted ways to multiple audiences.
- Represent the company’s measurement, results and impact with key internal and external stakeholders at leading conferences, meetings and other important gatherings.
- Coordinate with program and M&E leadership of the foundation’s other signature initiatives to share M&E best practices and assist with foundation-level M&E efforts when needed.
- Assume additional responsibilities as required.
Minimum Level of Education Required Master’s Degree or higher
Position Knowledge/Skills & Abilities Requirements:
- 7-10 years of previous experience in a similar role
- Significant experience using diverse quantitative data analysis methods (including but not limited to: tests of significance, e.g., t-tests, ANOVA , chi-square, multiple linear regression, logit or probit, and factor analysis, and related statistical analysis software, such as SPSS , SAS or Stata) and also in “mixed-method” M&E practices, applying non-quantitative methods (e.g., structured focus groups, interviews) as appropriate
- Sophisticated skills set in program assessment, particularly in the field of economic development and supporting an understanding of trends in M&E, characteristics of effective programs, leading organizations, and initiatives
- Experience in strategic planning and data-driven decision-making
- Experience managing complex relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Experience working with M&E IT data systems; ability to translate measurement needs in ways that allow technologists to design, maintain, and support state of the art evaluation systems.
- Must be an effective communicator including the ability to be a compelling writer who is able to distill essential information and tailor messages for a variety of audiences spanning academic publication to practitioner materials
- Must be a relationship-builder with the ability to facilitate communication between professionals from a variety of cultural and professional backgrounds in a respectful and diplomatic manner
- Must have a proven track record of working in and negotiating/federating, complete stakeholder relationships or partnerships
- Entrepreneurial mindset and energized by working in a fast paced environment (including comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to be flexible in work roles and responsibilities)
- Flexibility to work across multiple methods of measurement and evaluation; balancing what is most rigorous with what is most practical
- Ability to work and lead a diverse and geographically scattered team.
- Must be highly self-motivated, with impeccable ethical standards, and the ability to maintain confidentiality and personal integrity
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Must be fluent in English
- Travel and some evening and weekend work required
Additional Required Skills & Abilities
- Previous measurement and evaluation experience preferred.
Babson College - 20 months ago