The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is a private, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance to help leaders in government and civil society improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. |
Vera ’s New Orleans office focuses on criminal justice reform initiatives to reduce reliance on incarceration, particularly of persons awaiting trial, and to improve the efficiency and fairness of the criminal justice system. Vera New Orleans has partnered with local criminal justice agencies to develop and implement a pretrial services program to move to a risk-based system in the initial release/detention decision and optimize the use of non-financial release in order to ensure that low-risk individuals are not detained prior to trial simply because they cannot afford financial bail. The pretrial services program began operations in April 2012 and is currently funded by the City of New Orleans and Baptist Community Ministries and operated through contract with the city.
Vera currently is seeking to hire an individual to assume the senior staff position of Director of New Orleans Pretrial Services. This individual will continue the task of developing the pretrial services program and oversee operations of the program.
The Pretrial Director ’s duties include the following:
- Ongoing development of program including increasing judicial reliance on objective risk assessment tools, expanding use of supervision services, developing community service partnerships, implementing related criminal justice improvements, and ongoing relationship building;
- Development and revision as needed of policies, procedures, protocols and related forms governing all aspects of pretrial operations;
- Oversight of daily operations of pretrial program including staff scheduling, assuring access to defendants and the accuracy of pretrial reports, and providing information to judicial officers;
- Responsibility for pretrial personnel matters including hiring, training, and supervising personnel, currently consisting of a staff of seven;
- Oversight of public information efforts including ongoing development and maintenance of web site, written materials, and public education initiatives;
- Oversight of ongoing access to and security of criminal history data bases including compliance with federal and state law governing access and use;
- Oversight of management of pretrial office including processing of bills, oversight of repairs, provision of furnishings and supplies, and relationship with landlord and neighborhood;
- Liaison with the courts and other criminal justice leaders and agencies;
- Oversight of research efforts including access to needed data, development of reports, and direct collection of data;
- Oversight of IT work ensuring functional equipment and software;
- Oversight of grant activity including preparing grant applications, compliance, and reporting;
- Oversight of budget including development and management of budget and participating in efforts to support and expand budget as needed;
- Oversight of contract with city, participating in drafting contractual documents, ensuring compliance, and reporting as required;
- Participate in community wide or criminal justice system activities related to pretrial services and criminal justice initiatives; and
- Work collaboratively in the above with the Director of Vera ’s New Orleans office and as part of a team including senior Vera staff in New York City.
Candidates must possess the following:
- Advanced degree in law, criminal justice, government, or related field, plus seven to ten years of relevant experience in criminal justice field preferred;
- Minimum five years ’ supervisory experience, with excellent teamwork skills;
- Strong interest in social justice for underserved populations required. Demonstrated interest and experience working with criminal justice-involved individuals;
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills;
- Experience designing and implementing policies, procedures, and protocols with ability to contribute to ongoing refinement of best practices in a developing program;
- Strong teamwork and multi-tasking skills and ability to perform well under pressure;
- Ability to respond quickly to the changing needs of a developing program; and
- Final candidates will be subject to a criminal background check per FBI regulations.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits provided.
Please submit a cover letter, comprehensive resume, and two sole or first author writing samples.
Online submission is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / NOLA Pretrial Director Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
546 Carondelet Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail, or fax).
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera and its work in New Orleans, please visit www.vera.org.
The Vera Institute of Justice is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing safety and justice, promoting fair and efficient...