Director, Operational Content
This position manages the department responsible for the Company’s item file accuracy and maintenance. This includes general item detail, customer pricing, consumer lists, and company costs. This department is also responsible for providing the data for the publication of both hard copy and electronic pricing media that includes many of the Company’s major marketing programs, i.e., general line catalog, private label and promotional. Involved in the file updates of other major programs as well as the pricing media of National Accounts, New Channels, major customers, etc., through writing programs to create files of data and reviewing the margin contribution to ensure the originator knows the impact.
- The Director, Operational Content will report to the Vice President, Merchandising and have the following direct reports including Manager of Marketing Analysis, Project Analysts, Item Information Service Manager, Manager of Operational Content and Manager of Content Syndication.
- Cross Business Unit interaction with ORS Nasco, MBS Dev and Lagasse
- Cross Functional interaction with New Channels, Public Sector, Executive Management, Product Category, Marketing Management, Sales Management, Inventory Management and IT
- External interaction with Customers, Vendors, Printers and 3PV
- Decision Making:
- Based on system capabilities and information availability, the department will give opinions on the viability of handling the program under today’s constraints. Areas may come to us for ideas of how to implement a specific project for a customer or how to accommodate a promise made to a customer. Also, ad hoc projects are given to the area for information that can be used in determining the viability of pursuing a customer or project.
- Pricing Media – Working with other members of the department to ensure the accuracy and quality of the product being delivered to customers (2,000 electronic through Unitape both proprietary and third-party vendors) or the Dealer Net Pricer (hard copy delivery quarterly in the range of 15,000 copies). - 10%
- Item Maintenance – Working with the Item Maintenance Manager to ensure the daily item changes are up-to-date and of the highest quality. This includes the area providing support to the Inventory Department for purchasing and clerical data entry and flow. Support special projects. - 15%
- Work with Market Analysis Manager in pricing of promotions, media and special large customers. – 5%
- Special reporting for various areas that leads to information on decisions in pricing, item lineup selections and margin impact. – 15%
- Special projects as determined by the Vice President, Merchandising. – 15%
- Liaison with other areas such as IT, Inventory Management, Marketing, etc. Management of the department. – 10%
- Ensure Rich Content is syndicated accurately – 10%
- Managing information flow (content) between Merchandising and Advertising. – 10%
- Supporting Enterprise-wide Content (Biggest Source) – 10%
- Publication deadlines and the quality for standard as well as custom programs for large and National Accounts must be met or customers will request rebates to offset the losses they may incur based on how late the media is received or errors in that media.
- Budgets for the staff are the responsibility of the position. The staff responsibilities in each of these areas also falls within this position.
- Maintain operational content for over 150,000 items.
- Manages people, processes, budgets, performance management, compliance activities, and associate development as required by the job.
- Understands and demonstrates United Stationers' Core Values.
Education and Experience
- Strong knowledge and use of Company supported software such as Focus, Excel, etc.
- Strong knowledge and use of department-specific software programs in Item Maintenance, Cost and List Maintenance, Price Modeling and United Pricing Services Systems.
- Strong project and process management skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people across many different levels.
- Ability to effectively communicate the impact/end results of very detailed processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business or other related field; Advanced degree beneficial.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Marketing.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing staff.
- Experience in analyzing competitive pricing and their system files information.
- Experience in various areas of a company to understand how department actions will impact those other areas.
United Stationers - 15 months ago
Don't think that United Stationers is just another paper pusher. The company is a leading wholesale distributor of office supplies and...