POSITION TITLE: Director, Operations (Must Have Retail Energy Operations Experience)
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Director of Operations role is a vital leadership role that will enable and support the senior leadership team in accomplishing the company’s strategic and operating objectives and shaping the future of the company.
This role will be responsible for the management and oversight of the post-sale business processes for all customer segments. He/she will be responsible for vendor management of all existing applications, and will also lead the implementation of industry-leading technology solutions that deliver an outstanding customer experience, reduce operational costs, and create long-term scalability.
The leader in this role will be positive, hardworking and will fit well in a high performance culture. This individual will have a direct and open communication style; will have the confidence to share his/her point of view and the courage to offer perspectives that challenge the status quo. He/she will have strong written and oral communications skills in both one-on-one and group-presentation situations. He/she will be able to effectively interact and communicate with team members at all levels, as well as with external parties.
This individual will primarily be responsible for:
Administration, Planning and Team Management
Develop and manage the operations budget, and identify and implement cost reduction and efficiency initiatives throughout the year, while also driving continuous improvement of quality and service.
Provide ongoing employee development and coaching, performance reviews, development plans implementation and tracking, and other similar initiatives.
Prepare operations contingency plans, emergency/business continuity plans and transition plans
Effective Management and Improvement of Operational Performance
Monitor process, systems and people performance through establishment and maintenance of operational metrics, clear accountability, ongoing reviews, and leadership updates
Achieve operational goals and metrics, including budget and project goals
Coordinate with other customer facing teams to ensure that effectiveness goals and metrics are oriented towards delivering an outstanding and industry leading customer experience
Develop policies and processes (including controls) to enable the efficient and effective operation of the company’s core processes
Train the organization and develop process thought-leadership throughout the organization
Drive continuous performance improvements towards industry leading efficiency and effectiveness, which will include:
Setting efficiency and effectiveness goals and monitoring results to goals
Manage individual team member performance to goals
Identifying failing, underperforming or missing processes, performing root cause analysis, and driving execution of corrective actions
Sponsoring technology or other company projects and initiatives
Ensure that input of all affected and interested parties is effectively gathered and included in plans, processes, and technology deployments, that consensus is built, and that effective change management (including communications) across the organization is occurring
Maintain a positive and productive working relationship at all levels of exchange with vendors, including effective direct relationships with vendor’s operational and development leadership, while maintaining detailed knowledge of key team members assigned to Liberty Power, detailed knowledge of vendor company performance, vendor strategic developments, and vendor industry competitive landscape
Establish and measure SLAs with all external vendors, including ensuring execution of appropriate performance management processes
Ensure bi-lateral communications are effective, represent an effective source of process improvement opportunity, and promote Liberty Power interests and reputation
Ensure that vendor performance management includes agreement and execution of process improvements as well as ensuring that Liberty Power meets its operational/contractual commitments to vendors
This individual will be accountable for managing, reporting, and optimizing the following functions:
- Contract Management – Primary responsibility is to process customer contracts and ensure all data is captured in the appropriate systems and that customers are on-boarded with Liberty Power based on contract parameters. Also responsible for communication to the Supply team on all customer volumes changing within Liberty Power’s portfolio based on customer behaviors and service dates, including any management of early terminations and their associated financial impact, as well as data and process support for renewal and retention initiatives.
- Transaction Management – Primary responsibility is to manage, validate, and process all inbound and outbound data files with Third Parties & Utilities. Also responsible for the management of all Utility operating rules and ensuring all appropriate processes are updated to accommodate the rules.
- Billing – Manage all daily functions related to billing, including exception management & custom bill calculations.
- Revenue Assurance – Ensure all accounts are billed accurately and in a timely manner, and that all costs have been recovered and expected margin has been realized.
- Customer Service – Manage all Customer Interactions, including phone, email, or mail correspondence. Also responsible for supporting the response to and closure of any formal complaints made to the regulatory commissions and/or Better Business Bureaus.
- Product Configuration & Implementation – Primary responsibility of this team is to ensure that all retail products marketed to customers are configured in all appropriate applications to ensure accuracy in pricing, hedging, and billing. This team is also responsible for the management of any market changes that could impact Liberty Power’s portfolio of prospects and existing customers.
- Process Efficiency – Primary responsibility is to manage all system enhancements and communication with IT. Also responsible for all process flows within the Operations team, making changes where necessary to ensure efficiency and scalability.
Skills and Specification:
The competencies required for this role include:
- Process Driven – Proven ability to put in place the right frameworks and structures for process and policy development and effective and efficient performance. Strong ability to lead the organization and work cross functionally in achieving the operational results. Jointly owns the company’s Core Processes together with the functional leaders and constantly looks for ways to maximize the effectiveness of the processes through technology, process improvement, or other means.
- Analytical/Metrics Driven – Has a deep understanding of process metrics and leverages them to manage the company’s core processes. Pulls diverse data together into an integrated picture. Uses metrics and measurements to identify process improvement opportunities and issues in a proactive way. Identifies technology solutions, where needed, to drive the desired results.
- Building and Leading Teams – Ability to attract, coach and mentor humble, hungry, and smart team members and build leaders who work with a process orientation and leverage the tools and training that have been provided to them. Uses influencing and direct management skills to achieve the desired results. Creates teams that embrace the Liberty culture and value system.
- Commitment to Excel – Challenges self and others to exceed standards and achieve superior results. Drives his/her organization to continuously set and achieve stretch goals. Identifies and eliminates potential barriers to reaching targets for self and team. Possesses strong organizational skills.
- Business Acumen - Ability to develop comprehensive strategic operating plans and manages resources and budget. Good analytical skills. Understands business and process management principles and language, including the fundamentals of finance and profitability, and business process improvement tools like lean and six sigma methods. Uses this understanding to drive good business decisions for the company that enhance customer experience and drive down operating costs.
- A minimum of 7 years of Retail Energy Operations
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Five plus years demonstrated organizational development responsibilities.
Liberty Power believes in the power of freedom of choice. The independent electricity provider serves residential users, businesses, and...