ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
- Manages radiation oncology services in accordance with Clinic and governmental standards within the established budget.
- Develops departmental goals and objectives.
- Responsible for facility and equipment maintenance and acquisition of supplies and materials.
- Demonstrates considerable leadership, planning and decision making capabilities.
- Evaluates the patient flow, the effectiveness of the staff (including hiring, performance evaluation, training and disciplinary action), overall departmental performance, compliance issues and work methods.
- Collects data, prepares reports, answers correspondence, and compiles statistics for administrative and regulatory purposes.
- Serves as liaison among medical staff.
- Maintains and inspects equipment and materials. Introduces and demonstrates new equipment and techniques. Conducts in-service training.
- Assists in development of the financial plan and monitors the allocation of resources, including taking corrective action to ensure the department performances within established benchmarks.
- Maintains skills necessary to perform routine physics tasks during chief physicist’s absence.
- Coordinates emergent radiation therapy biomedical needs in engineer’s absence.
- Performs regular operational audits including charge capture and billing reviews to ensure compliance with billing guidelines.
- Provides and/or reviews shielding calculations necessary for room design for radiation oncology, including the preparation and submission of shielding calculation reports for State and Federal agencies.
- Provides ongoing oversight and management of therapists and dosimetry staff to ensure protocols are of the highest standard and consistent with the expectations of the Clinic’s Leadership and Radiation Oncology physicians.
- Provides recommendations and negotiates for, new capital purchases needed to enhance the Radiation Program.
- In collaboration with the radiation safety officer, administers the radiation safety program of the department of radiation oncology as developed by the radiation safety officer and approved by the radiation safety committee.
- Provides treatment planning oversight to dosimetry, including acting as a physicist to support the department.
- Acts as a liaison with the EMR provider for clarification and correction of technical problems.
American Association of Physicists in Medicine - 6 months ago