Virginia Natural Gas seeks to fill the position of Director, Regional Operations in its Virginia Beach, Virginia location. This leadership position primarily directs and manages the daily business and operations of the Company’s Southern Division. This is an operations focused role that is accountable for the safe and reliable operation of the natural gas distribution system. The role includes the development and monitoring of performance objectives that drive efficient and effective operating results, ensuring compliance with all pipeline safety rules and regulations coupled with maintaining and improving system reliability, overall safety, and customer service.
Characteristics of Position:
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Focuses on core operations of Meter Reading, Field Service and Distribution
- Manages maintenance and compliance tasks to insure timely execution.
- Monitors key metrics and makes adjustments to perform at optimum level.
- Enables and enforces workforce adherence to procedures in the Company’s operating and maintenance manual.
- Manages bargaining unit employees. Incumbent will represent Company in grievance discussions with covered employees and local bargaining unit representative. Participates with others in arbitrations and contract negotiations.
- Ensures that workforce is trained through formal training conducted within the Company and through local specialized training.
- Participates on operational teams as needed. This includes corporate teams as well as local opportunities to lead the investigation and development of solutions to operational problems.
- Performs as a subject matter expert (SME) on local system operations as part of the VNG Distribution Integrity Management (DIM) Program.
- Directs approximately 50 field employees through four supervisors.
- Responsible for the safe and reliable operations of the natural gas distribution system.
- Must be familiar operating within integrity management or risk management programs.
- Leads & directs personnel to ensure the efforts of all employees align with the corporate strategies.
- Accountable and responsible for maintaining compliance with CFR part 192 and company policies and procedures.
- Leads emergency response and incident command response within the region.
- Manages staffing models to optimize supply and demand requirements for field resources
- Conducts monthly operational review process including variance explanation and corrective action plans.
- Analyzes and interprets key operating metrics in an effort to create opportunities for improvement.
- Identifies and analyzes opportunities to increase productivity, quality, customer satisfaction and/or safety performance while managing costs to achieve business objectives.
- Develops and implements new processes and procedures resulting from “lessons learned” meetings and “root cause” analysis.
- Recommends mitigation strategies for key operating risk.
- Manages staff selection and performance development through analysis and evaluation of coaching and training opportunities.
- Collaborates with peers and intra-company departments to ensure appropriate performance of service providers and best practices sharing.
- Manages the relationship with all employees including response to grievances, issues and recommendations.
- Balances external stakeholder (customer, regulatory agency, permitting jurisdiction, etc) needs with company goals and objectives to reach a favorable resolution to stakeholder issues and/or concerns.
- Develops and executes individual development plans in anticipation of current and future needs to ensure talent pool growth.
- Participates in appropriate civic activities to ensure company maintains a positive profile in local communities.
- Promotes and encourages employee participation in volunteer efforts in the local communities.
- Develops and executes annual operating and capital budget within targets.
- Ensures the development and execution of annual work plans.
- Establishes, monitors and drives work goals that are consistent with the department’s and corporation’s overall strategy.
- Drives results through performance management of staff including setting goals and expectations, evaluating results and taking corrective action as needed.
Education/ Related Work Experience/Skills
- Required: BA/BS degree and at least 4 years related experience or a demonstrated combination of education and related experience that qualifies for the position
- Required: Previous leadership experience managing people
- Required: Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Preferred: Integrity Management/Risk Management experience
- Preferred: Previous leadership experience managing bargaining unit employees
- Preferred: Previous operational/compliance/safety experience
- Preferred: Engineering /Construction/Operations background
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
The incumbent works in an office environment with occasional trips to the field. This position occasionally requires walking of job sites and could require the individual to bend, kneel, or crouch from time to time.
Disclaimer: This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
AGL Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
AGL Resources - 10 months ago