The Allen Institute for Brain Science, located in Seattle WA, is comprised of a multidisciplinary staff committed to understanding how the brain works and helping to unlock the mysteries of neurological diseases and disorders affecting millions worldwide. Serving the scientific community is at the center of our mission to accelerate progress toward understanding the brain and neurological systems. Our contribution is creating tools and datasets to help in this pursuit. To this end, the Allen Institute's resources are free and publicly available online.
We are seeking a seasoned Director of Research Engineering with strong leadership skills and a track record of excellence. This position reports to our Chief Scientific Officer and is a key member of our research design and management team.
- Partner with the CSO and other senior leadership to identify the technical research needs of the Institute in the area of molecular, cellular and behavioral neuroscience .
- Lead the design and build of cutting edge, highly customized instrumentation that enables experimentation which supports the research initiatives of the Institute.
- Lead the build vs. buy decision-making process as it relates to specialized research instrumentation and equipment.
- Build and manage a team of highly creative engineers.
- Interface closely with the scale-up and support engineering functions in the organization; act as a key influencer with these teams.
We offer competitive pay, a generous benefits package, and a dynamic, intellectually challenging environment.
- PhD in an engineering field, preferably in optical, mechanical and/or electrical engineering
- 10+ years of experience in leading and managing highly technical and creative research engineers
- Must have worked in cross disciplinary environment in academia or industry
- Startup experience is a big plus
Link to job posting: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA11/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ALLENINSTITUTE&cws=1&rid=301
The Allen Institute for Brain Science is an equal opportunity employer.
Allen Institute for Brain Science - 14 months ago