DIRECTOR, SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
The Director, Software Development provides leadership, oversight, and overall direction for software solutions across a range of products assuring alignment and partnership with business strategy and objectives. The Director cultivates key relationships with business leaders in order to understand and lead the alignment of software solutions with current and predicted business strategies and priorities. This position leads the establishment and growth of software department methods and practices with success demonstrated through successful development, delivery and maintenance of accepted software solutions.
• Work closely with senior management, product managers and other business stakeholders to assess business strategy, objectives, and priorities and assure software solutions are aligned and delivered accordingly. Work with business stakeholders and the software management team to address and resolve escalated issues.
• Lead, guide, and mentor Project Managers and Development Managers as direct reports. Promote and strengthen PM & DM leadership on projects and respective development teams, assuring responsibility, meeting expectations, communicating clear and accurate status, and producing quality results.
• Ensure Project Managers, Development Managers and respective software teams follow established software development standards, processes, and procedures including alignment with architectural guidance.
• Develop a practical and working knowledge of business processes, and with business team members to be able to respond quickly and efficiently working with the respective software management team.
• Develop relationships and motivate staff to overcome barriers and embody a culture that plans to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
• Remain knowledgeable on current technological advances and business strategies in software technologies and development techniques.
• Hire, develop, motivate and manage staff, write performance evaluations, define and manage individual goals and perform HR administrative functions.
• Lead and promote agreed software development processes, practices and operations to ensure reproducible and high quality development, while managing costs within an implied budget.
• Promote collaboration between developers, QA, Architects, and other technical support teams, to drive overall architecture, security and certification of software products.
• Provide sound decision making for software and product development and, sensitive to the real constraints and business needs of the business.
• Formulate and evaluate technical alternatives based on software experience while working with Development Managers and supporting staff to develop appropriate solutions.
• Monitor and stay abreast of technological and operational changes; makes recommendations for, and oversee development staff in making improvements to meet changing scope parameters and requirements.
• Create and maintain strong and positive business relationships with internal stakeholders and external clients where appropriate.
• Actively support and promote adherence to the company Customer Service Excellence program.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Minimum of 12 years of Information Technology experience.
• Minimum of 10 years of software product development experience.
• Minimum of 8 years of management/leadership experience.
• Demonstrated experience leading and enhancing software development practices with emphasis on agile methods and project organization.
• PMP, SCRUMmaster, ITIL and other relevant certifications are considered beneficial.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, I.T. Management or equivalent experience desired. Masters degree optional but desired.
• Good understanding of various development concepts and best practices.
• Strong experience in leading and managing teams using a variety of different technologies and methodologies.
• Advanced knowledge of software product lifecycle management, development processes, software engineering principles and deployment processes for large scale applications.
• Demonstrated experience in managing complex enterprise software development teams who develop and/or integrate software (functional, design, coding, unit testing, etc.).
• Knowledge of business systems and inter-dependencies of those systems. Accounting and Payroll systems experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Refer to the Software Job Description Competencies Matrix for specific software development skills required in this position.
• Ability to absorb, understand and communicate written and verbal information and ideas, and to deliver in a concise manner that is easily understood by others.
• Ability to listen to, understand and communicate information and ideas, to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Ability to apply critical thinking to identifying the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Ability to apply knowledge and principals to specific problems to produce answers and to combine disparate information to form general conclusions or recommendations. The ability to determine when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. This may involve solving the problem, and recognizing that there is a problem.
• Ability to absorb new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
• Ability to work in company-provided work area and equipment, and can access tools and equipment as needed.
Prosum Technology Services - 16 months ago