Position: Director of User Experience, HTC Innovation
Location: Seattle, WA
About the User Experience Design Team
Over the past 6 years, HTC's Global UX Design team has created the vision for HTC Sense, HTC's branded, cross-platform user experience. During that time, HTC has transformed from a device manufacturer into a global consumer brand. The UX design team provides design strategy for all of HTC, and collaborates directly with product teams in Taipei to bring new designs to market. We are a small team with the feel of a startup and the backing of a company with over $15 billion in annual sales. Our process relies on the collaboration of exceptionally talented individuals within an integrated cross-disciplinary team to create products that offer functional benefits and emotional resonance to our target audiences.
HTC is looking for a Director of User Experience with 10+ years of experience, who is driven by the desire to build and manage a group of user experience designers, and elevate the team and its work to the next level. Candidates should demonstrate a passion for energizing the team, creating and evangelizing unique, yet relevant, design solutions, and a strong commitment to HTC's success in the mobile device market.
What you get to do everyday:
What you bring to the role:
- Direct all user experience design activity for the Seattle branch of the Innovation design team.
- Build and facilitate relationships with product, engineering, brand and marketing teams world wide to create innovative user experiences.
- Oversee user and market research to understand the needs and desires of our target audience.
- Work with HTC customers and partners to align design strategies.
- Critique design concepts and review design documentation to provide creative direction to the UX team.
- Manage design staff.
- Direct the design, building, and testing of interactive prototypes to iterate and evolve design concepts.
- Oversee collaboration with related teams and secure agreement on process, schedule and deliverables for all team members.
- Present and evangelize design vision, priorities and strategy to engineering, planning and marketing teams.
- Present HTC design vision and strategy to customers and partners.
- Innovate and evangelize design culture and process within HTC's UX Design team and throughout HTC's worldwide organization.
We should get to know each other if you:
- 10+ years’ interaction design experience and a focus on mobile user experience design.
- 5+ years of managing design teams
- Strong understanding of mobile trends and industry.
- Infectious passion for all technology and experience design and how it can be used to make peoples’ lives better.
- Experience shipping multiple products from concept to creation.
- Experience working with and influencing a multi-disciplinary team of UX designers/researchers, planners, engineers, business development, product planning, marketing and sales.
- Experience providing company design leadership (scope and vision).
- Experience in designing both hardware and software user experiences.
- BA/BS in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Computer-related Design, HCI, Human Factors, or closely-related field (Master’s degree is a plus).
- Strong leadership skills; the ability to identify, hire, develop, and retain the most talented people while inspiring them to peak performance.
- Ability to inspire confidence and trust with internal partners; strong collaborator.
- Out-of-the-box thinker who can challenge the status quo while setting and achieving goals.
Free agents with both corporate and consulting backgrounds are highly appreciated.
- Are thrilled by the chance to ship new products of your own design to millions of passionate HTC users.
- Live for cross-disciplinary user-centered design, but would rather design products than discuss process.
- Obsess about creating design solutions that offer both functional and emotional benefits.
- See design as both a cultural and strategic activity.
- Are happy to travel quarterly to Taipei, Taiwan to collaborate with product groups.
Equal Opportunity Employer
HTC - 17 months ago