A9 has built a new search service to extend the AWS cloud-computing platform. Amazon’s CloudSearch business is a new entry in the search space and rapidly growing. A9’s Director of Engineering for CloudSearch will play a key role in driving the company’s next-generation technology platform to support and expand A9’s current CloudSearch programs, while also pioneering a new wave of CloudSearch opportunities that leverage Amazon’s unique strengths, technologies, and existing client relationships. A9 is a subsidiary of Amazon.com with a proven record of innovation and delivery of critical technology operating at massive scale to power some of the world’s largest Web sites and Internet businesses. A9 provides a highly customer-centric, team-oriented environment in our offices located in Palo Alto, California.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITY
We're looking for an experienced technical leader to help drive the development of leading edge search technology. You will oversee an exceptional group of engineers with a strong team-oriented culture.You will have extensive experience with all facets of the software development lifecycle and will provide technical leadership in driving the design and implementation of extremely large distributed systems. You should be an experienced hands-on manager with an innovative spirit who loves technology and can wear many hats. You will also be a dedicated and successful recruiter able to lead the team through a period of rapid growth while maintaining the highest hiring standards. You should have extensive experience managing Internet and middleware technologies in online businesses. You should be fluent discussing distributed computing, data management, networking, optimization technologies, and object-oriented programming with senior architects and technical leads.
As the technical leader in the CloudSearch business at A9, you will partner with business leadership in establishing the vision and goals for the business, formulate a technical strategy, and lead the team to execute on that strategy by developing a best-in-class technology platform.
Specific responsibilities for this role include the following:
- Overall, partner with the CloudSearch leaders in defining a leading edge technical strategy that maximizes revenue, provides an outstanding customer experience, and ensures success of the business.
- Work in partnership with other leaders across A9 and Amazon to contribute to the strategic direction of the business, develop a technical roadmap, and synthesize detailed, near-term product and technology plans.
- Lead A9’s CloudSearch engineering team in all phases of engineering: requirements, architecture, implementation, quality assurance, deployment, and technical operations.
- Retain existing engineering talent and recruit new while maintaining the highest hiring standards.
- Lead the development of processes and changes in team design and culture to ensure continued and increasing effectiveness as the team undergoes a period of rapid growth, without sacrificing technical quality, innovation, or the team environment.
- Communicate with the executive team and engineering leadership across A9 and Amazon to drive consensus and build confidence in the overall technical strategy, roadmap, deliverables, operations and progress.
- Experience with high-growth technology companies, and in organizations that know how to compete and win. Understands what it takes to build and support a scalable platform. Has ideally worked with a company/business that scaled to significant levels.
- An advanced degree in computer science or engineering from a top institution
- Experience with agile or similar methodologies for continuous development of product and technology
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience at top tier technology companies directing high visibility initiatives
- An inspirational technical leader with a high emotional intelligence who sets high and exacting standards and demands the best work of their team.
- Proven ability to build and maintain a high-quality, high intelligence engineering team with PhDs and Masters. Naturally attracts top talent. Isn’t afraid of team members who are smarter. Has experience at hiring into a high-growth organization.
- Entrepreneurial with an inherent sense of urgency and accountability.
- Team-oriented, collaborative, and able to delegate important decisions. Can synthesize coherent plans and priorities from the inputs of the team and business partners. Fosters atmosphere of innovation, collaboration, and open communication.
- Strategic and thinks at a high level, but also hands-on, execution-oriented, and capable of getting things done quickly.
- Flexible and adaptable in the face of a rapidly changing market environment.
- Ability to translate a long-term vision into a near-term, executable plan. Able to prioritize and triage effectively, deciding which projects to deliver first.
- Data-driven and “quantitative” mentality. Grounded, detail-oriented, always backs up ideas with facts.
- High energy and tireless commitment to making A9’s CloudSearch business best-in-class.
A9.com - 8 months ago
What began as Earth's biggest bookstore has become Earth's biggest everything store. Expansion has propelled Amazon.com in...