NYGC is hiring for a variety of positions. If you are interested in joining our innovative organization and helping it launch and grow, we would like to hear from you. Please email your cover letter and resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org .
The Director Facility Services ensures the reliability of building systems and oversees facilities operations and maintenance, security, mechanical and critical systems support, mail room including shipping & receiving, housekeeping and janitorial services, and other vendors as assigned. Job duties include managing vendors and in-house staff to ensure systems are properly maintained, operated, and documented. In addition, the individual will participate in complex projects such as relocating NYGC operations from one site to another and building out new office and laboratory space. The successful individual will establish, manage, and improve maintenance programs, operational processes, and standards, and will manage the budgetary planning and execution of operating expenses and capital expenditures.
- Develop a facility- and site-service organization that is robust, scalable, and customer-focused;
- Responsible for all aspects of facility operations and management of 170,000sf laboratory and office space;
- Prepare and manage facilities budgets and monitor overhead expenses;
- Negotiate contracts and maintain contractor and vendor relationships, ensuring quality, cost-effectiveness, proper scheduling, and compliance with policies, procedures and standards;
- Oversee operations of facility and systems including equipment maintenance and repair, space planning and coordination, and support services such as housekeeping and janitorial services, security and mailroom;
- Manage the maintenance of the building, grounds, equipment, and plant facilities;
- Oversee all Lab Safety, Hazardous Materials Handling, QA/QC Compliance, Environmental Health and Safety Systems, and Emergency Response systems and certifications.
- Keep in compliance with and abreast of all OSHA regulations;
- Ensure facilities staff receives on-the-job technical, OSHA, and safety training;
- Lead the development and implementation of employee emergency/safety and security plans and situations and oversee the security system and card access;
- Oversee disaster recovery, backup, and security systems;
- Responds to calls during emergency situations, evaluating facility and equipment damage and taking necessary steps to protect the all facility related assets and systems;
- Successfully manage construction and expansion projects, delivering each project on accelerated time lines and within specified budget;
- Develop and maintain work plans, estimates, and schedules for a major project or multiple concurrent projects;
- Oversee the installation and commissioning of new equipment and equipment upgrades;
- Oversee and execute moves of people, furniture and scientific equipment, including installing, moving, repairing, and removing equipment, furniture, fixtures, appliances, and utilities within the building.
- Establish and maintain facility information in the facility master files, including paint colors, key schedule, service contract schedules, etc. Set, monitor and record standards and compliance therewith;
- Maintain records as may be required by government agencies having jurisdiction and/or as directed by management.
- Extensive experience in facilities services;
- Direct experience bringing a life science building on-line in New York City;
- In depth knowledge of old all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and restrictions on maintenance procedures and health, safety, or the environment, permits, building codes, easements etc;
- Experience with Environmental Health & Safety required, direct work experience in the EH&S function preferred;
- Ability to lift up to 80 pounds and operate a variety of hand and power tools required;
- Experience overseeing a complicated building and equipment moves including scientific equipment preferred;
- Demonstrated technical aptitude including general facility maintenance and operations skills;
- Experience managing to a budget;
- Project management ability: planning, estimating, scheduling. Ability to meet deadlines and complete all projects in a timely manner;
- Computer proficiency and excellent communication skills both orally and in writing;
- Developed problem solving and analytical skills;
- Able to read construction documents and schematics;
- Undergraduate degree in a technical or engineering discipline preferred;
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude, willing and able to work in a start-up environment.