Works cross-functionally with Commodity Management, Factory Materials, Engineering, Program Management and Quality/Reliability to establish and execute the development program materials and supplier sourcing strategies. Instrumental in driving to the most cost effective, reliable and manufacturable designs. Ensures all business unit requirements (Direct Material cost, schedule, volume, technical capability, quality and reliability) are met in accordance with the sponsored business case Manages the materials and cost for early product builds during development phases, including risk management of the HV material during the first quarter of production. Manages supply chain functions for Branded Products. Supervises Materials Program Manager, Commodity Managers and BP Supply Chain staff.
Essential Functions :
· Works wit h Development/Engineering on materials needs assessment
· Develops sourcing strategy with Commodity Management , Asia Materials and CM/ODMs
· Provides guidance to suppliers during the development phase including schedules and costs.
· Drives Commodity Management, Development and Engineering teams to meet direct material cost objectives
· Works opportunities for cost reduction by design, quality enhancements and strategic leadership
· Provides direction and guidance to tactical and strategic process improvements in es tablishing policies/standards
· Works directly with multi-function teams and suppliers to address issues that may impact schedule and supply
· Manages and represents qualification status through development, and supports post transfer qualifications as require d
· Works with Finance to establish costs in development phases and in some cases HVM
· Attends program management meetings (kick-offs, readiness reviews), design reviews and transfer review meetings as the senior leader for the materials organization and presents status of program ramp, materials availability & cost, product deviations, etc. as needed
· Interface s with Asia Materials Team to ensure a smooth hand-off of materials requirements to full volume production
· Supervises the Materials Program Managers in bringing new products through the development process
· Participates in a lead role in the development of strategic goals and objectives enabling the Materials department to meet overall Corporate goals
· Ensures all Materials Program Managers are supporting post transfer qualifications as required (for volume and/or cost opportunities) and executing sourcing strategy for their assigned programs during the pre-development or production phase
· Ensures all Materials Program Managers are managing material availability for pre-production builds, product deviations, as required, to meet production ramp plans, as well as presenting program ramp status in the various development and executive reviews
· Visits supplier’s sites and WD factories on a regular and as required basis to ensure successful execution of Materials-related plans and strategies
· Manages and develops processes and strategies for BP supply chain, logistics and fulfillment in collaboration with the corporate supply chain function
- Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Years of Experience (General Guidelines):
- 10 years of related experience
- Supervisory Experience (General Guidelines):
- 5 years or more
- Excellent capability to work within a cross-functional environment
- Demonstrated organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent understanding of supplier capabilities to enable effective cost modeling and negotiations
- Solid working knowledge of binding elements of a contract, standard company contracts and agreements. Working knowledge of contract law.
- Read, write and speak English.
- Write complex reports with correct grammar, punctuation, spelling and good structure.
- Read, analyze, and interpret complex, technical and business documents.
- Respond effectively to sensitive or controversial business situations.
- Effectively present complex topics to all levels of employees, management, suppliers
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- Compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Draw and interpret graphs and charts.
- Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Apply concepts of algebra and geometry.
- Work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in extremely critical or complex matters.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical information in mathematical or diagram form.
- Deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Deal with nonverbal symbolism, equations, graphs, etc.
- Apply exceptionally strong negotiation and persuasion skills to obtain best contract terms, agreements and to resolve/help resolve extremely critical matters (e.g. contract disputes involving very significant financial impact to the business).
- Strongly influence and gain respect of peers, management and other team members.
- Lead/mentor/advise team members.
- Interact and communicate with exceptional effectiveness with all levels of employees, suppliers, contractors, and management.
- Conduct business ethically.
- Follow company policies and guidelines.
- Effectively manage staff while observing employment laws and company policies and guidelines (applies only if the incumbent has formal management responsibility)
- PC, Keyboard, Computer Notebook, Phone, FAX, Copier, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Internet, Email, calendar software.
- Materials planning software, Oracle
- Expert project management experience required.
- Hard disk drive or related industry experience required
- Extensive experience in Product Development support preferred
- Expert understanding of product development and materials lead-time
When it comes to data storage, Western Digital has drive. The company is one of the largest independent makers of hard-disk drives, which...