DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING
Department: Communications and Marketing
Under general direction, plans, organizes, and directs University communications programs, including publications, media relations, advertising, marketing, community relations, social media and public information with a direct reporting line to the President of the University and the Vice Chancellor for Marketing and Communications at the Texas Tech University System.
1. Plans, organizes, implements, directs, and evaluates marketing, advertising, public information, media relations, community relations, branding strategies, social media, website management and publications programs for the University.
2. Directs and participates in the preparation and dissemination of news releases and other communications providing information on a variety of University topics and events.
3. Oversees all aspects of the planning and production of ASU Magazine, including assigning topics and photos for coverage, editing stories, organizing and prioritizing final stories, and managing quality control measures, including proofing.
4. Coordinates university responses to surveys by various recruiting publications, college guides and organizations.
5. Develops and maintains University website and social media information in an interesting and timely manner, with an emphasis on adapting to new technologies as appropriate.
6. Serves as Officer for Public Information in accordance with provisions of the Texas Public Information Act.
7. Coordinates University C&M policies, procedures and outputs with Associate Vice Chancellor for Communications and Marketing at the Texas Tech University System.
8. Assists with the overall implementation of community relations strategies for the university.
9. Prepares speeches, scripts, and public service announcements.
10. Promotes positive media relations with local, state and national news organizations.
11. Coordinates public relations during times of crisis by issuing press releases and providing information to the campus and public entities.
12. Supervises the design and layout of publications, brochures, newsletters, and other materials.
13. Compiles statistical and historical information on University subjects, faculty, events, and other topics; writes feature articles and other informational materials.
14. Represents the University at meetings and press conferences.
15. Meets with administration, faculty, staff; media representatives, and others to plan University communications, marketing, and public information projects.
16. Prepares and administers the budget, and ensures compliance with State and local expenditure regulations and budget limitations.
17. Approves purchase requests for supplies and equipment; approves employee requests for vacation, sick, and other leaves of absence, as appropriate.
18. Formulates or revises policies and procedures affecting University communications, social media and department operations.
19. Negotiates advertising and media vendor services; oversees contracted services.
20. Prepares periodic administrative and activity reports for ASU and TTUS
21. Attends training, seminars, and other meetings, as needed; performs other duties, as assigned.
22. Interviews, selects, trains, and supervises department employees; evaluates employee performance and provides positive and constructive feedback.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of planning and program administration; knowledge of the principles and practices of effective employee supervision and training; knowledge of journalism, news reporting and feature writing; knowledge of social media; knowledge of media relations practices; knowledge of basic statistical applications; knowledge of fundamental marketing techniques; knowledge of community relations strategies and practices, knowledge of applicable University policies, procedures, and practices.
Ability to write interesting and accurate news articles, using proper grammar and spelling; ability to collect, compile and report data and information; ability to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals, including news media representatives, University administration, faculty, and others; ability to operate a personal computer keyboard for the preparation of correspondence, feature articles, reports, and other materials; ability to utilize desktop publishing software.
Skill in oral and written communication; skill in interpersonal relations.
Physical Requirements Position requires prolonged periods of sitting, and intermittent standing, walking, reaching, bending, and grasping. Basic manual dexterity and good hand-eye coordination are also necessary.
Incumbent works primarily indoors; occasional exposure to dust, pollen, heat, cold, and inclement weather.
Possession of a Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, communications, marketing, or closely related field required. Master's degree in related field preferred.
Five years of experience in news or feature writing, public information programs, marketing, public relations, or related. Previous supervisory experience is desirable.
Other Information: REQUIRED: Under "Other Documents", please upload and attach writing samples, including any examples of branding/marketing campaigns that have been created/managed, if possible.
PREFERRED: If possible, please attach three professional letters of reference at time of application.
- 11 months ago - save job