The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university serving more than 480,000 students in a wide range of educational programs at 24 colleges and institutions in New York City.
Directs College Labor Relations functions requiring the highest degree of confidentiality, skill, sound judgment and attention to detail.
- Represents the College at grievances and disciplinary proceedings
- Writes labor/legal related briefs and decisions
- Responds to policy and procedural inquiries from a wide variety of College officials, including Vice Presidents, Deans and Department Chairs
- Responds to a variety of requests, such as employment discrimination complaints from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the New York State Division of Human Rights; subpoenas, and document requests
- Provides time-sensitive reports and information to internal and external sources, such as the New York Commission on Public Integrity
- Serves as liaison to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Labor Relations, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Human Resources Management, and Office of the General Counsel
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Legal Counsel and Labor Relations Director
Higher Education Officer
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources, the Director of Labor Relations & HR Staff Services will have oversight of all staff Labor Relations matters campus wide, and will take a proactive approach to providing guidance to the campus community in an effort to minimize potential complaints and/or grievances. In addition, the incumbent will oversee HR related matters affecting campus staff members, and will manage employees in the Office of Human Resources that deal with labor relations and staff services.
Additional duties include:
- Develop a thorough understanding of labor agreements, rules, and policies of the City University of New York (i.e. White Collar Contract, Blue Collar Contract, PSC Contract, CUNY's Rules and Regulations, New York State Civil Service Laws, etc), and apply CUNY regulations appropriately by providing Deans, Vice Presidents, and Department Heads with guidance and mentorship.
- Proactively collaborate with the campus community as a strategic partner to establish mentoring, coaching, and training initiatives in an effort to reduce potential complaints and/or grievances and educate senior leadership on various human resources and labor relations policies and procedures.
- Advocate for a respectful workplace free of harassment and discrimination. Develop respectful workplace practices and provide guidance on positive work-life initiatives.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with union representatives, and act as a liaison to the CUNY General Counsel's Office and the CUNY Office of Labor Relations to oversee the disciplinary process and the finalization of disciplinary charges resulting from investigations.
- Represent the college at hearings and arbitrations as the hearing officer, and oversee the prompt completion of confidential staff investigations regarding instances of misconduct, incompetence, or other serious violations.
- Analyze witness testimony and factual evidence in order to compose decisions and executive summaries for the review of the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources. Recommend appropriate penalties, as well as alternative solutions, to the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources.
- Research sensitive college-wide HR issues; draft and recommend policy/procedural changes to the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources for implementation.
- Conduct trainings, orientations, and other workshops as necessary for campus executives, managers, and staff.
- Counsel executives, management, and staff on performance management and requirements.
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' related experience required.
JD and at least 4 years of legal experience (minimum of 8 years of related experience) are highly preferred. Experience in a unionized academic environment, the public sector, or CUNY/higher education is highly preferred.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have strong customer service orientation, leadership and attention to detail
- Be able to take initiative, work proactively, independently and in a team environment
- Have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Have exceptional judgment, analytical skills and the ability to juggle a large and varied workload
- Be able to interact with all levels of staff diplomatically with professional discretion and confidentiality and high ethical standards
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint) highly desirable with working knowledge of PeopleSoft.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions. If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to
and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
May 31, 2013
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
- 2 years ago - save job
For 160 years, The City College of New York has provided low-cost, high-quality education for New Yorkers in a wide variety of disciplines....