Job ID: 14283
Location: San Diego, CA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Medicinal Chemistry - 3264
Celgene Corporation is committed to delivering innovative therapies designed to improve the lives of patients worldwide. We are a global biopharmaceutical company with operations in more than 70 countries that is helping to turn incurable cancers into chronic, manageable conditions. We are seeking talented professionals as we continue to grow and advance our efforts in oncology, hematology and immune and inflammatory disease. If you would like to join a company where you can make a difference, please consider the Celgene family.
PhD in organic or medicinal chemistry with at least 12 years of relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience.
The candidate will oversee key scientific functions within Chemistry at the Celgene, San Diego facility including chemical biology, analytical separations, high-throughput medicinal chemistry (HTMC) and will have responsibility for running/overseeing the chemistry effort on at least one internal drug discovery program.
The successful candidate will have expertise, in organic synthesis, medicinal chemistry, and high-throughput medicinal chemistry along with a working knowledge of chemical biology. In addition, proven leadership and team management skills with a demonstrated ability to direct the efforts of multiple staff incorporating various scientific skills and disciplines are required. This position will report to the Senior Director of Chemistry in San Diego. The successful candidate will work directly with senior members of the Chemistry Department as well as interdisciplinary drug discovery teams, therapeutic area teams and CROs.
- PhD in chemistry with at least 12 years of relevant drug discovery experience, much of that at the Senior Scientist/Director level.
- Recognized as an intellectual leader in medicinal chemistry and drug design with a proven track record of patents and publications.
- Working knowledge of modern analytical separations techniques pertaining to the separation/purification of organic compounds.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering candidate(s) into development.
- Significant project leadership experience.
- Demonstrated ability to implement project and chemistry strategies.
- Working knowledge of chemical biology.
- Strong synthetic chemistry and parallel synthesis skills/ high-throughput medicinal chemistry.
- Significant working knowledge of modern medicinal chemistry and drug discovery techniques (FBDD, SBDD, multi-attribute analysis, flexible resourcing models, alternative delivery systems, informatics, etc.).
- Expert in concepts and methods of parallel synthesis and analytical separations techniques.
- Experience in managing scientific collaborations and contracted research.
- Effective team building and teamwork skills.
- Manage HTMC, Analytical Separations and Chemical Biology personnel and operations in San Diego, including associated CROs.
- Accountable for team strategies, timelines, and deliverables.
- Interact effectively with partners within Chemistry as well as Biochemistry, Pharmacology, DMPK, therapeutic area representatives.
- Supervise and direct the efforts of chemistry staff, providing guidance, instruction, and coaching.
- Represent CB, Analytical, HTMC within Chemistry as well as across Discovery.
- Build a dynamic scientific and professional culture focused on productivity and innovation that reflects Celgene values.
- Expert in medicinal chemistry – both drug design, organic synthesis, parallel organic synthesis.
- Working knowledge in chemical biology and analytical separations techniques
- Able to integrate heterogeneous and ambiguous datastreams and formulate coherent paths forward.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Employment applicants requiring immigration sponsorship must disclose, when initial application for employment is made, whether or not they are legally authorized to work in the U.S. and, if so, whether that authorization permits them to work in the job they seek. In no case should Celgene support of a potential employee’s temporary visa application be construed to guarantee success of that application or amend or otherwise invalidate the "at-will" employment relationship between the employee and Celgene.
The Scientist Careers
- 23 months ago - save job
Celgene is delivering innovative therapies to patients with unmet medical needs in cancer and inflammatory diseases.