At REI, we have a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you—it's a great environment that balances hard work with time off to play. We've been recognized as one of Fortune Magazine's "100 Best Places to Work" since the award's inception and continue to grow and thrive in a challenging marketplace. REI offers an excellent compensation package, flexible benefits, outstanding retirement plan, annual incentive program, and a generous merchandise discount to help you enjoy your free time.
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading the direct marketing, membership loyalty, credit card and gift card functions within the marketing division. Develops brand communication strategies and member benefits that drive traffic to retain customers, increase brand loyalty, and grow active members and sales across retail and digital channels. Accountable for developing investment strategy and optimizing direct marketing programs including: direct mail, email and SMS. Utilizes customer insights capabilities to understand and engage customers throughout their REI lifecycle. Collaborates with ecommerce, retail, merchandising and private brands to drive traffic, sales and customer engagement strategies and execution. Represents the marketing division and its business requirements to cross divisional partners to ensure execution. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Contributes to the development of the 3-5 year marketing division strategy and goals that supports the REI corporate vision and strategy.
- Develops annual brand communication strategies that drive traffic to retain customers, increase brand loyalty, and grow active members and sales.
- Targets customers with relevant communications, content, offers and experiences to retain and increase active members and drive sales.
- Leads strategy development and program management for direct marketing programs (direct mail, email, SMS) and all customer relationship initiatives to optimize ROI and meet annual goals.
- Leads cross divisional development of coop membership strategies and execution that drive member acquisition, differentiate REI and driver member loyalty.
- Lead strategy development and program execution for gift cards to drive sales and promotional events.
- Lead strategy development and program execution for REI credit card to increase member penetration and profitability.
- Gives direction to and manages multiple outside vendor and partner relationships to develop program strategies, execute email programs, credit card and gift card programs to achieve goals.
- Develops strategies to build communications testing, personalization and performance measurement capabilities. Reacts to testing and adjusts future plans.
- Responsible for the developing, monitoring and attaining the annual expense budget and goals.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible marketing leadership.
- Team leadership of 10+ person team.
- Expert knowledge of marketing function and competencies including: strategic planning, program management and measurement, brand communication, customer insights, direct marketing, membership loyalty, customer retention, gift card and credit card programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field.
- Master’s degree in business, marketing or related field preferred.
- Experience in a multi-channel retail company with revenue of $2B+ preferred.
- Innovative and strategic thinking related to direct marketing (direct mail, email, SMS), membership loyalty, and social media.
- Experience giving direction to and managing agency and outside partner relationships.
- Ability to clearly articulate a compelling vision and strategy.
- Strong analytical skills with experience developing financial plans, expense budgets and business cases.
- Understanding of the REI brand and the outdoor specialty retail business.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
REI - 22 months ago
REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. Founded...