At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Director/Sr. Director to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
The Director/Sr. Director will manage a cross-disciplinary R&D team and lead collaborative programs with industrial and academic partner, establishing and advancing project goals, and ensuring timely completion of project objectives; work effectively with the scientific team members to formulate and execute integrated research plans; effectively conduct and manage experimental data analysis and interpretation, and make appropriate recommendations based on the results; provide written and oral reports on progress as necessary and assist in the development of an intellectual property strategy, including the development and submission of patent applications; supervise and guide the professional development of direct reports; ensure that all company policies and safety practices are followed.
- Experience in establishing key capability and leading a team: coaching, motivating and fostering a performance culture delivering results and achieving established goals.
- Bench scientific leadership and team management R&D experience in applied bioinformatics, molecular genetics and cell engineering.
- Execution of R&D plans to meet program milestones and timelines.
- Excellent technical decision-making and trouble shooting skills.
- Generate and convey research summaries to senior management.
- Collaborative experience with professional program manager role/tools.
- Ability to quickly obtain broad/solid command of associated scientific literature.
- Understanding and contribution to intellectual property strategy and processes.
- Work and lead team/research in accordance with health and safety guidelines.
- Consistently demonstrate initiative to deliver program milestones and project tasks.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ph.D. and postdoctoral training in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Immunology or related discipline, extensive research and development in mammalian primary cell systems preferred.
- At least 10 years of biotechnology industrial experience in molecular biology and cell engineering with record of progressive accomplishment, responsibility and impact.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience at the bench and group leadership in a dynamic R&D environment.
- Direct, hands-on experience with and extensive knowledge of genome/cell engineering using advanced precision genome editing tools and/or synthetic biology approaches.
- Knowledge and experience with transplantation biology and/or immunology highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience managing and collaborating with partners across a range of technical backgrounds, expertise and geographic locations essential.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and successfully integrate and apply scientific literature, research data and technical input across multiple contributing program areas to meet program goals essential.