Job Title: |
Director, Technical Operations
Area of Interest:
Carnival Corporation & plc is a global cruise company and one of the largest vacation companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises, and Cunard Line in the United Kingdom; AIDA in Germany; Costa Cruises in Southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain; and P&O Cruises in Australia. These brands, which comprise the most recognized cruise brands in North America, the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, offer a wide range of holiday and vacation products to a customer base that is broadly varied in terms of cultures, languages and leisure-time preferences. We also own a tour company that complements our cruise operations: Holland America Princess Alaska Tours in Alaska and the Canadian Yukon. Combined, our vacation companies attract ten million guests annually.
The primary focus of the Director, technical projects, Corporate Ship refit is to develop, provide oversight, lead, and/or assist the implementation of large Ship Refit/ Technical projects. The Director, Technical Projects will report to the Corporate Ship Refit/ R&D Executive Management. The Director, Technical Projects will manage, as well as work in conjunction with, other Brand Directors, Project Management and Sr. Managers in or outside the department on the development and execution of the projects. The Director, Technical Projects will be involved in the development and execution of large‐scale projects for the corporate fleets including specifications, budgets, and schedules for refits involving multicultural engineers and contractors.
• Develop projects varying in scope, from design specification requests to extensive dry dock refurbishments.
• Provide technical oversight and Technical services to fleet
• Manage project teams from top level thru to designers and space managers. Oversee their activities and their initiatives, sets goal and milestones with brands.
• Develop Strategic initiatives in cooperation with corporate and brand sponsors
• Lead department team of project managers and zone managers and assign projects and roles and responsibilities
• Work closely with stakeholders and project sponsors to understand the concept, objectives and goals for the requested project incl. , timelines and budgets
• Develop the scope of work required to fully satisfy the stakeholders’ desired project outcome.
• Develop specifications for projects that are in compliance with the criteria established by the brands and sponsors.
• Review drawings and specifications presented by internal and external architects and engineers considering functionality, operational needs, and budget.
• Oversee deliverables included design, documentation, specifications and the project Schedule of Values. planning and scheduling, logistics planning and testing with the project
• Coordinate and schedule work assignments of support staff and consultants.
• Negotiate and contract main contractors for refits and project works
• Coordinate construction of systems with technical teams and planning group
• Evaluate contractor bids. Advise in contract negotiations, pricing and change orders. Maintain close contact with contractors and vendors to resolve any possible challenges in a proactive manner. Approve and source substitutes, if required
• Ensure all selected specifications comply with the safety and environmental/ ethic regulations established by the company and appropriate regulatory agency.
• Perform onsite inspections for vessels in service and in dry docks to ensure quality adherence/assurance of work completed and timely production. Ensure projects are accomplished following applicable regulatory requirements and that all documents are updated and archived.
• Provide feedback to department senior management in regard to enhancements and improvements for technical refit program.
• Strategize with department senior management to create high-level departmental goals, processes and objectives
• Experience leading large-scale ship retrofits and technical installations
• Dry-dock vessel survey and management experience
• Newbuild / Refit site survey inspection
• At least 10 years of relevant Marine Engineering / Naval Architecture experience is required
• Sea going experience in role of Chief Engineer or equivalent
• Successful track record in managing a large multicultural staff with diverse skill sets
• Ability to make critical decisions regarding vessel construction/renovation with regard to stated regulations, pressing timelines and controlled budgets
• Ability to travel for extended periods for dry-docks and refits
• 30% or more travel days per year
• Ability to work in dry-dock conditions and construction sites
• Strong communication skills, problem resolution experience and proficiency in MS Office, MS Project and CAD.
Benefits as a member of Carnival's Team:
• A comprehensive healthcare program, dental coverage and flexible spending accounts
• Company-paid term life insurance and long term disability coverage, employee-paid optional life insurance and other voluntary insurance programs
• A 401(k) plan that includes up to a 3% company match after one year of service and a discretionary Profit Sharing contribution in your second year of eligible employment
• Tuition Reimbursement is provided for company related professional career development
• An on-site Space Coast Credit Union satellite office, cafeteria and free parking
• Employee Stock Purchase plan that provides up to a 15% discount off the Fair Market Value of Carnival Corporation Common Stock
• Paid vacation and sick time
• An on-site fully accredited child development center
• An on-site Health & Wellness Center that provides a full range of activities
• Two complimentary “Fun Ship” cruises a year (based on available space and seniority) as well as discounted rates to friends and family in addition to other discounts to local and neighborhood vendors
Carnival Cruise Lines - 19 months ago
Carnival is "The World's Most Popular Cruise Line®", with 23 ships operating three to 17 day voyages to The Bahamas,...