The Siemens Energy Sector is the world’s leading supplier of a complete spectrum of products, services and solutions for the generation, transmission and distribution of power and for the extraction, conversion and transport of oil and gas. In fiscal 2009 (ended September 30), the Energy Sector had revenues of approximately EUR25.8 billion and received new orders totaling approximately EUR30 billion and posted a profit of EUR3.3 billion. On September 30, 2009, the Energy Sector had a work force of approximately 85,100.
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have over 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard. Do you want to invent new technologies? Collaborate with other brilliant minds? Create the future with your ideas? At Siemens, you can.
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
The Siemens Smart Grid Applications (SGA) Business brings Siemens’ smart grid portfolio to the market in a coordinated offering for our customers. SGA will seek to develop and market new applications that are emerging as communications and information technology transform the power grid, including solutions for load management, management of distributed power generation and storage, smart metering, and electric vehicles. SGA will synchronize Siemens smart grid efforts across all Siemens businesses involved in smart grid solutions — Energy, Building Technologies, Industrial Solutions, Industrial Automation, Drive Technologies, Osram Sylvania and SIS — and together with select industry partners will create best-in-class solutions.
Siemens Smart Grid Applications Group is seeking an executive for the position of Director R&D with a proven track record in leading technology teams developing cutting-edge software and hardware solutions.
This individual will have the responsibility to define SGA’s R&D strategy and roadmap based on customer requirements, develop the team required to deliver on that strategy, as well as oversee ongoing development activities and projects. In this function, the Director R&D will be ultimately responsible to deliver solutions in the realm of Demand Response, Meter Data Management / Smart Metering, Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure, Distributed Generation & Storage, and Microgrids. Furthermore, this position will be responsible to align R&D efforts within Siemens Energy and Industry Inc. to leverage synergies due to Siemens’ global footprint.
This function reports directly to the President of Energy SGA U.S.
- Develops, leads, and manages team of R&D managers, architects, engineers, and external resources developing E SGA’s next-generation smart grid solutions
- Takes leadership for technical due diligence of cutting-edge startups and established players pursuing potential acquisitions and partnerships
- Evaluates technical requirements of customers / partners and develops appropriate E SGA R&D strategy for North America in alignment with E SGA business / product owners and with support of E SGA’s Architect
- Aligns R&D strategy in North America as well as on global level with various entities, such as Corporate Technology, SGA China and EMEA, as well as Industry and Energy R&D departments
- Develops plan to implement R&D strategy, including budget and resource planning
- Defines R&D projects and provides technical and managerial leadership for implementation, including development process and QA
- Supports Director of Strategy & Partnering in establishing and maintaining relationships with partners on a technical level
- Supports Architect in managing RFP responses from a technical point of view
- Represents Siemens E SGA technology in presentations and discussions at universities and industry conventions
E SGA’s dynamic start-up environment requires an independent self-starter who is highly motivated to create value and impact for E SGA and its customers.
- MSc in computer science, electrical engineering or related field; MBA a plus
- 5+ years of experience leading technology / R&D departments
- 5+ years of leading systems/software engineering (OO, SOA, SQL, etc.) in utility space
- Business background / executive experience required
- Significant experience in project management
- Know-how in systems engineering (for example software platform architectures); experience with hardware development a plus
- Expertise in R&D methodologies required
- Product / portfolio management know-how a must
- Experience in energy and IT industry required; know-how of building technologies a plus
- Some know-how of communications technologies a plus
- Experience in smart grid application fields such as Demand Response preferred
- Track record in collaboration across organizational boundaries
- International working experience
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, lead, and complete multiple projects with a service-oriented "customer first" mindset
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills; the ability to effectively present information to public groups, C-level mgmt and/or boards of directors
- Network of relationships in energy, industry, government, and universities are a plus
- Ability to travel 30% annually, domestically and internationally as needed
Black Enterprise - 2 years ago
Siemens AG (Siemens) is engaged in electronics and electrical engineering. During the fiscal year ended September 30, 2008 (fiscal 2008), th...