As one of the largest employers, property owners and infrastructure investors in the state, PG&E is uniquely positioned to support the economic health of our customers and California. The Economic Vitality team supports the development and enhancement of PG&E activities that foster traditional economic development - business growth, retention and job creation - as well as activities within the broader community and workforce development areas.
The mission of the Community Relations department is to implement a community investment strategy that delivers maximum benefit to our customers and PG&E by:
In support of this strategy in 2012, PG&E will contribute more than $23 million in charitable funding to nonprofit organizations throughout our service area and facilitate over 30,000 hours of volunteer service in the community this year.
- Ensuring that charitable giving and company-sponsored events support key community needs and are aligned with strategic PG&E objectives, issues and relationships
- Maximizing the involvement of PG&E employees and retirees in the communities we are privileged to serve
The Director of Economic Development plans, directs and coordinates economic vitality initiatives within Pacific Gas and Electric Company. Work involves encouraging the expansion of economic development related activities, communicating activities to external stakeholders as well as the broader customer base and establishing ambitious yet achievable and measurable goals around internal processes and procedures designed to facilitate economic growth and job creation in PG&E’s service area of northern and central California. The Director will be responsible for assessing and promoting policy enhancements in the economic development arena and preparing reports and presentations concerning economic development activities for senior leadership and the California Public Utilities Commission.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, economics, business administration, public administration or a related field
- 10+ years of increasing responsibility in corporate social responsibility, economic development, stakeholder management, public relations management, or a related field
- In-depth knowledge of economic conditions within PG&E’s service area, with a particular emphasis on regions hardest hit by the economic downturn over the past several years.
- Measuring, benchmarking and communicating PG&E’s impact on the economic health of our service area through our core business, including infrastructure investments, economic and workforce development, community investments, local supplier development and annual procurement activities.
- Developing, improving, and implementing best practices to enhance the company’s performance in these areas.
- Engaging with a wide range of economic development and agency stakeholders to obtain feedback on the company’s performance and identify key emerging issues, opportunities, risks and best practices.
- Leading a cross-functional team to establish goals for PG&E to enhance the percentage of annual spend directed toward small and minority owned businesses in local communities where infrastructure investments are made and work is performed.
- Reporting on enterprise wide economic impact metrics and initiatives through an annual Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report.
- Leading a company wide team to assess and enhance economic development offerings for customers and further integrate policies and programs into PG&E’s business strategies that support economic growth in our service area.
- Working with external stakeholders to develop, track, and benchmark key companywide economic impact performance metrics, obtain feedback, and identify emerging issues, risks, and best practices.
- Develops, plans, organizes and implements a strategy geared toward streamlining PG&E’s economic development activities and promoting PG&E as a lead corporate citizen within the economic vitality space.
- Promotes PG&E as a lead corporate citizen supporting economic development through personal contacts with community leaders, public officials, regulators, commercial customers and PG&E executives.
- Directs, initiates and coordinates the development of an economic vitality grant program that appropriately leverages the companywide economic development efforts.
- Creates a cross-functional Economic Vitality working group to establish companywide goals pertaining to economic development objectives and works to facilitate adjustments to longstanding internal processes and procedures to further enhance PG&E’s impact on the local economies it is privileged to serve.
- Participates on the boards of business associations and nonprofit economic development organizations throughout the service territory tasked with looking at the regional economies of the future and determining ways to leverage the PG&E asset to benefit customers in those regions.
- Attends conferences, seminars, workshops, classes, lectures, etc., as appropriate, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the field of economic development; attends professional, civic, and networking gatherings, as appropriate, to represent and promote interests of PG&E.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company - 17 months ago
What motivates our workforce of 20,000? Simple: Knowing that 15 million Californians count on us to ensure instant access to energy, 24...