Closes: Open until filled: Application review will begin October 29, 2013.
Directs a high quality child-care center whose mission is to serve the needs of university faculty and staff families. The center provides care for infants through elementary school-age children. Provides oversight for both the daily operations and fiscal management of the center and has supervisory responsibility for both the classified teaching staff in the preschool through school-age programs and center-wide substitutes, the assistant director, and the center’s business manager; coordinates educational experiences for university students within academic units in education and related fields.
Reports to the director of Work-life Resources in Human Resources.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON:
The University of Oregon is a comprehensive research university and member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) with over 2000 faculty, 1300 officers of administration, and 1600 classified employees. Student enrollment tops 24,000. Located 110 miles south of Portland, the state's major metropolitan area, 60 miles from the coast, and 70 miles from the Cascade Mountains, Eugene has abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation and a vibrant arts community.
The university has an institutional commitment to diversity and multiculturalism, and actively supports this goal. The UO is known for its spirit of cooperation and collaboration, and for its ability to provide a variety of personal and professional opportunities that make a difference.
Provide leadership and guidance to teaching staff for the planning and implementation of children’s programs, based on best practices in the field as articulated by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the Oregon Child Care Quality Rating and Improvement System.
Ensure that the center’s programs and facilities meet all applicable licensing requirements and all university standards and requirements and that risk factors are minimized.
Provide oversight to the business manager for facility maintenance, reception, and customer service functions including webpage and written information.
Provide oversight and direction to the business manager for the development and monitoring of the annual budget and the efficient use of resources, including enrollment of children and staffing.
Maintain supervisory responsibility for the business manager, assistant director, and early childhood associate and assistant teachers in the Preschool through School-Age Programs and center-wide substitute teachers, including hiring, training, scheduling and assigning work, evaluating performance, and handling disciplinary problems and grievances.
Coordinate practicum student and volunteer placements.
Develop and facilitate parent involvement, including providing written materials and participation on the Vivian Olum CDC Advisory Council.
Represent the center on university and community committees related to early education and care.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in a related field as defined in the Oregon Registry Pathways to Professional Recognition in Childhood Care and Education, or meet Step 10 in the Oregon Registry.
- Must have three years of related progressively responsible work experience, including one year program management which includes fiscal management, facility management, and supervision of staff.
- Requires strong oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Position is subject to criminal records check and possible finger printing.
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Related work experience in a higher education-affiliated child-care program
$50,000-$56,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience; excellent fringe benefits including health and dental insurance; options for long and short-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, and life insurance; deferred compensation plan; employer-paid retirement contributions; vacation and sick leave; and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent.
Submit a cover letter, a copy of the https://jobapp.hr.uoregon.edu/ form, and the answers to the supplemental questions listed below.
1. Describe your experience working in an early childhood education setting. Indicate the size and type of program and the level of your participation in center management.
2. Describe your philosophy of child care and early childhood education for infants through school-age children in a program for working families.
3. Describe your leadership style as it relates to directing a large, complex organization with a wide range of employee types and client constituencies.
4. This position participates in the writing of policies and procedures, reports, and other documents and communicates orally with a wide variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures, including parents, students, staff, and children. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a diverse constituency.
Application review will begin on October 29, 2013. The position will remain open until filled. Application materials should be packaged as one PDF attachment and e-mailed to email@example.com .
Application materials may also be faxed to 541-346-2548 or submitted via USPS to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
This announcement is available in alternate formats upon request. If you are a qualified applicant with a disability and need accommodation with the application or interview, please call (541) 346-3159 for assistance.
AN EQUAL-OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE-ACTION INSTITUTION COMMITTED TO CULTURAL DIVERSITY AND COMPLIANCE WITH THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
University of Oregon - 30+ days ago