California Institute of Technology
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is searching for a Director of the International Offices. Caltech's International Offices consist of three offices: International Scholars Services, International Student Programs, and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) International Office. The Director leads and manages the three offices. The Director has varied and complicated duties, all of which relate to supporting the research and teaching at Caltech and JPL and service to the international community and the people who employ and teach them.
The Director of the International Offices is responsible for long term planning and conduct for the offices, taking the following into consideration:
- Service to Caltech divisions and employees
- Service to JPL directorates and employees
- Compliance with federal and state regulations on immigration matters
- Staff development and expertise on immigration matters and inter-cultural sensitivity
- Intra-institutional relations
- External relations
- Campus cooperation
- Professional organization leadership
- Oversees all aspects of the international scholars and international student community at Caltech and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL); the Director is a key advocate for the international students and scholars at Caltech and JPL.
- Stays current on federal immigration and labor laws and regulations that affect the international communities at Caltech and JPL.
- Monitors California state laws and regulations that might affect the international community at Caltech and JPL. Makes sure that any problem areas are brought to the attention of Caltech's government relations office and properly addressed to benefit the Caltech and JPL.
- Monitors, oversees, and has expert knowledge of all immigration-related matters at Caltech and JPL to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements and obligations as they apply to working and studying at Caltech and JPL. This includes categories used in higher education and research settings, such as B, E3, F, H, J, O, TN, and LPR.
- Develops and maintains a strong collaborative working relationship with Caltech's Government Relations office to strengthen our advocacy related to federal immigration law and initiatives.
- Supervises Associate Directors of the three international offices at Caltech and JPL.
- Works collaboratively with the academic divisions and business offices and Student Affairs on immigration matters that affect working and studying at Caltech and JPL.
- Develops a strong collaborative working relationship with the office of Export Control on ITAR (International Traffic and Arms Regulations) and EAR (export control regulations) matters that may interact with many immigration regulations.
- Establishes and maintains membership in pertinent national organizations and takes a leadership role in these organizations, as appropriate.
- Represents Caltech with federal agencies such as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), etc., as appropriate, on immigration related concerns.
- Advises Caltech offices and staff on regulations and procedures of the many federal agencies that enforce immigration laws and policies.
- Manages the green card process for individuals who are sponsored by Caltech and JPL.
- Works collaboratively with outside immigration counsel in the conduct of Caltech and JPL green card cases. Manages the billing for such cases. Acts as the sole signature for Caltech and JPL petitions that are filed by outside immigration counsel.
- Develops policy on the integration and implementation of government regulations as they pertain to the hiring practices for foreign nationals, monitoring existing orientation programs, and promoting intercultural adjustment activities.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of immigration-related Institute policies and procedures with the appropriate Caltech division and offices such as the Provost's Office, JPL, and the Office of the General Counsel.
- Master's degree or J.D. degree
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in an international office at a research university or national laboratory
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills, including tact, discretion and high ethical standards in dealing with highly confidential information
- Critical thinking skills including policy analysis, evaluation of compliance issues, and formulation of internal business procedures
- Commitment to intercultural sensitivity in all Caltech and JPL interactions
- Active participant in NAFSA professional organization
- Demonstrated strength in providing leadership and developing direct and indirect reports
- Strong quantitative skills and the ability to think critically
- Proven experience in understanding and interpreting complex and ever-changing laws and legislation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with experience in working with an international and intercultural population, including people who are making a transition into English.
- Comfortable in group presentations and negotiations
- Self-directed with the ability to work independently as well as with groups
- In accordance with the regulations at 22 CFR 62, the individual in this position must be a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
- Experience working with SEVIS systems
- In-depth understanding of the culture, procedures, and practices of a research environment
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize complex projects and initiatives with an emphasis on strategic planning in a multi-office setting
- Active participant in AILA professional organization
- Experience living internationally
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
California Institute of Technology - 24 months ago
copy to clipboard