Director of Accounting
The Director of Accounting oversees the accounting functions and provides business and financial support services to the university. The position is responsible for exercising sound, independent judgment in the application of advanced accounting knowledge, preparation of complex financial reports, overseeing the continued enhancements of the ERP system and direct supervision of the university's accounts payable, grant and general accounting functions.
- Supervise the accounts payable, grant and general accounting personnel
- Establish and maintain internal accounting controls
- Preparation of routine and ad hoc financial reports/analysis
- Preparation and provision of accurate and timely information to internal and external parties including external auditors
- Ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable accounting standards
- Plan, evaluate and organize work to maximize efficiency and effectively use university resources to meet work schedules
- Significant contributor to the on-going design and improvement of the financial module of the ERP system
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with university staff to enhance utilization of administrative software system
- Provide proactive leadership for assigned university accounting functions
- Manage special projects as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned or required
Successful completion of an employment and/or criminal history background check required
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
- At least six to seven years of progressive accounting experience
- Two years of supervisory experience in a general accounting environment
- Understanding of the need for continuous proactive evolution of systems, processes, and staff
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- High level of accountability and responsibility
- Ability to identify, communicate, and solve complex problems
- Ability to manage and report on numerous projects and operational tasks at once
- Ability to communicate across a wide spectrum of community members across the university, both verbally and in writing
- Experience in not-for-profit accounting, specifically higher education
- Master of Business Administration and/or CPA certification
- Experience with a Banner ERP system
This position prohibits vacations during summer months due to fiscal year end activities.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a St. Edward's University job application online at http://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Please attach a letter of interest and resume. No phone calls please.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer and hires only U.S. citizens and documented workers.
Posted: 05/30/14 Available: Immediately