Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Director of Admission Marketing and Communications provides leadership for the marketing and communications efforts for Undergraduate Admission to support the University’s recruitment goals.
Primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Education and Experience
- Create the annual marketing strategy and communication continuum in collaboration with SMU Integrated Marketing and UG Admission Marketing Committee;
- Use SMU and national marketing data in targeting segments and e-communications;
- Ensure that SMU’s print, web and e-communications presence reinforces key messages, reflects the SMU brand and supports the recruitment goals for student quality and diversity;
- Work with school-based recruiters to expand and keep consistent communications with prospective students and applicants;
- Identify communication solutions for publication, electronic mail, text, social media, and other communication methods both print and electronic;
- Create original designs and write copy for undergraduate recruitment publications, both print and electronic;
- Develop touch points and strategies for using social media and other e-communications;
- Implement project plan that includes design, list generation, tracking, delivery, evaluation and analysis;
- Track communication and marketing by media type and constituency;
- Integrate the communication messages through Access. SMU and develop/implement e-forms to track contact with prospective students/applicants in collaboration with Admission Operations unit;
- Ensure that all communication projects are approved through the appropriate channels in order to meet production deadlines;
- Work with SMU Integrated Marketing and printers to stay within determined budget allocation;
- Suggest strategies and tactics to achieve desired results and goals based upon data and analysis;
- Hire, train and supervise staff, as well as evaluate staff;
- Serve as liaison to SMU Department of Integrated Marketing;
- Attend meetings/conferences;
- Attend all division and team meetings, as well as attend staff development activities; support admission programs as requested.
A Bachelor’s degree is required.
A minimum of five years of work experience is required, preferably creating marketing communications.
Graphic design experience, including creation of initial concept and determining visual design, is also required.
Experience in higher education or the not-for-profit sector (e.g. community organizations, the arts, or K-12 schools) is desirable.
Experience overseeing production process of marketing communication materials is preferred. Experience developing and implementing marketing plans (short and long term) is desirable. Experience managing the marketing needs of large diverse entity with a myriad of audiences (e.g. prospective students, alumni) is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external constituents. Must also demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing. Strong editorial skills and a strong focus on attention to detail are essential.
Candidate must demonstrate the ability to successfully communicate and present an effective verbal institutional message for the University, to all internal and external constituents. A strong understanding of marketing principles and practices is essential.
Candidate must be a highly strategic, results-driven professional with the ability to create a vision for the marketing and communication strategy of Admissions. A proven track record to turn a marketing and communications strategy into concrete goals and project plans, as well as successfully execute it across various marketing and communication platforms is essential.
Candidate must be an innovative thinker/leader with the ability to suggest creative solutions in-line with a marketing and communication strategy. Must also be a self-starter with ability to work on and own multiple projects from beginning to end. Strong organizational and project management skills to effectively meet deadlines on multiple simultaneous projects are essential.
Candidate must be a self‐starter with a hands‐on approach. Must also be comfortable and confident operating in a lean, team oriented, fast paced, start‐up environment.
Candidate must possess the ability to use data, analyze results, identify trends and develop strategies. Must also demonstrate a strong working knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office and MS Excel. Working knowledge of design programs such as QuarkXPress, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop is a plus.
Priority Consideration Date
Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by December 12, 2012.
Deadline to Apply
December 21, 2012
SMU is AA/EO employer committed to excellence through diversity.