Job Description Summary
Willamette University invites applications for a full-time Director of Alumni and Parent Relations to join the Advancement team.
The Director of Alumni and Parent Relations leads, manages and directs the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations as it seeks to involve and engage alumni in the life of the university. The director will seek to build strong ties between alumni and the university through a wide variety of programming, volunteer opportunities, and communications. The director will serve as a member of the advancement management team working closely with development, advancement services, and communications offices as well as with virtually all members of the university community.
The director works closely with the alumni association board of directors and executive committee to develop and engage alumni members. The director also takes the lead in developing meaningful relationships with parents; coordinating closely with parent volunteers and the parent advisory council. This position reports to the vice president for advancement and supervises a staff of six.
To learn more about the Advancement Department, visit http://www.willamette.edu/support/index.html
This is a full-time, year round position. This position is eligible for the University’s generous benefits package that includes: medical/dental insurance, sick and vacation accruals, contribution of 10% of gross base pay from the University in exchange for a mandatory contribution of 1% by the employee, tuition remission, and holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience and education.
Duties & Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive. Duties are not listed in any particular order of significance.
1. Develop a comprehensive engagement program that involves alumni and parents in key facets of university life and taps their individual & collective expertise to enhance Willamette’s reach and status.
2. Build strong reunion programs.
3. Enhance university’s career network program.
4. Oversee communications to alumni via electronic newsletters, alumni website, mailings, and brochures that inform, update and familiarize alumni with the university’s activities, news, and programs of interest.
5. Oversee the development and expansion of online initiatives and the WU online community.
6. Introduce current students to the opportunities afforded them as alumni.
7. Develop regionally-based alumni programming and seek ways to involve alumni in the intellectual life of the university.
8. Work closely with the alumni association board of directors as it seeks to build an active volunteer structure to better involved and engage members of the alumni body.
1. Bachelor’s degree required.
2. Five to eight years experience in alumni relations, marketing and/or communications, customer service, or non-profit organization experience.
3. Superior management, organization and planning skills.
4. Track record of program development and implementation.
5. Significant experience working productively with alumni volunteers.
6. Possess highly developed computer skills including experience with constituent relations software.
7. Ability to work cooperatively to achieve common goals; support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information.
8. Ability to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
9. Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
10. Ability to recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.
11. Demonstrated experience in relationship building and management.
12. Ability to provide the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality.
13. Ability to listen carefully to and understand an individual’s needs and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
14. Ability to construct appropriate and effective communications for different demographic groups, including outreach and targeted markets.
15. Position is subject to successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check.
1. Advanced degrees in appropriate fields are desired.
Thank you for considering an administrative position within Willamette University (WU). Please note that you will need to create an account in order to apply, if this is your first time applying online with WU.
You will be asked to submit the following documents as part of your application materials:
Application Deadline: Open until filled, initial screening will begin January 7, 2013. Desired start date is March 1, 2013.
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis.
- Current Resume
- As part of the application, please include a list of references (name, title, preferred contact information, and brief description working relationship to reference).