This is an exciting opportunity to be on the ground floor of expansion, innovation and job creation for a triple bottom line enterprise. Southwest Key Enterprises is seeking a business professional with diverse business sense and an entrepreneurial spirit to expand our social enterprises. Launched in 2007, Southwest Key Enterprises provides a breadth of services to generate a sustainable future for the organization and create jobs in East Austin: Green Energy & Construction; Workforce Development; Maintenance; Café del Sol; and Data & Evaluation. At our state-of-the-art Social Enterprises Complex, we are committed to getting East Austin back to work, guiding employees to develop and implement their personal career plan by providing employment with competitive wages and access to employment services.
Reporting directly to the Southwest Key Programs President and Chief Executive Officer, and working closely with the organization’s Executive Leadership Team and the Board of Directors, the Director of Business Enterprise is responsible for developing and execute the growth strategy of various enterprises, achieving business performance targets, financial self-sufficiency and social purpose outcomes in support of Southwest Key’s operational and strategic goals.
Strategic Leadership & Management
Management & Supervision
- Design, implement and manage the strategic direction and 5-year growth plan for each enterprise.
- Own responsibility for the financial and operational performance of the social
enterprises, including annual budgets and alignment of performance against
- Develop and negotiate new customer contracts and identify and manage new business opportunities.
- Identify strategic sales, marketing, partnership, and service opportunities, including management and design of a marketing plan.
- Develop systems to ensure that each enterprise is meeting evaluation goals, grant
deliverables, and is in compliance with funding streams objectives.
- Lead the execution of critical day-to-day operational systems including, but not
limited to: managing individual enterprise managers; monitoring and addressing monthly sales and inventory; sourcing and purchasing equipment; ensuring safety
procedures; and managing customer relationships.
- Collaborate with Southwest Key Executive Management Team to ensure alignment of program outcomes and enterprise operations.
- Recruit, hire, supervise, motivate, manage and develop the capabilities of the
- Create a work environment that fosters teamwork,
personal growth, and self-confidence.
- A combination of one of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree with four (4) years of experience with business development including 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Master’s degree with two (2) years of experience with business development including 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in use of Microsoft programs including Excel, Access, Word, Power Point and database software.
- Ability to work independently, exercise initiative, and accomplish tasks without continuous supervision.
- Work cooperatively, courteously and effectively with other staff, board members, volunteers and donors.
- Strong public speaking and relationship building skills.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and meeting multiple deadlines.
- Ability to remain flexible and work with multiple and changing priorities when necessary.
- Commitment to the Southwest Key Values of Responsiveness, Innovation, Diversity and Excellence.
- Business experience working with construction/maintenance, cafe or restaurant.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Southwest Key Programs - 12 months ago