The Director, Business Intelligence is responsible for leading the effort for Financial Affairs to create sustainable and robust business intelligence (BI) platforms that will meet current and emerging institutional needs for strategic financial decision support, financial management, reporting, analytics that support and long term strategy success.
The Director Business Intelligence will build institution wide capacity to leverage and transform data and information to achieve innovative results through development of information and system structures that provide support at the strategic, tactical and operational levels.
The Director will develop and execute a shared vision for delivery of data, information, analytic solutions and services for Financial Affairs that serve VP Administration and Finance, senior leadership and our institution. She/he will support FA by developing and executing functional management and leadership for projects and initiatives related to financial systems; implementation of robust data structures and strong hierarchical chart of accounts structure to support reporting and analytical functions; deployment and adoption of integrated financial reporting; delivery of reporting and analytics to key stakeholders across the institution to support strategic decision making.
The Director has responsibility for overall functional management for financial management systems that support the College’s accounting, budget, procurement, disbursement, treasury services, grants and contracts, financial planning and reporting activities.
This function supports senior financial leadership in activities related to financial reporting, planning and analysis including annual budgets, financial compliance reporting and ad hoc information requests. BI will be used extensively for institutional reporting, analysis and decision support.
Position provides support directly for the full organizational portfolio within VP Administration and Finance (Financial Affairs, Procurement, Campus Services and Human Resources) and provides indirect support and training to external departments that have access to use enterprise financial systems and reports.
Primary Duties, Responsibilites, and Tasks
Major Areas Of Responsibilities
Overview of Major Responsibilities
• Develops the Business Intelligence vision for function for the College; develops and executes plan to achieve success.
• This role will leverage the knowledge and resources available through Financial Affairs group, and collaborate with the Information Technology group to ensure a strong BI platform and reporting function to deliver solutions that support institutional financial management and planning and long term institutional strategies.
• This function is responsible for the development and maintenance of the methodologies used for organizational reporting to ensure the overall integrity of data and is responsible for producing and/or overseeing the creation of standard and non-standard management reports, operational analysis and key performance metrics.
• Responsible for supporting key financial processes for College’s Financial Affairs group and financial system. Ensures that financial data between the Banner modules (Financial, Human Resource Management, Student Administration, Asset Management and Grants) are integrated to support on timely planning and decision making.
• Represents VPAF in the planning, design, and development and implementation of enhancements to the financial systems to support the BI platform. Responsible for executing FA recommend technology strategies that improve organizational performance. Collaborates and integrate these with IT.
• Establishes operational internal control procedures to ensure data and information integrity.
• Supports FA through liaising with IT to implement technology improvements that enhance operational performance and improved and efficient work processes and customer service.
• Responsible for providing initial technical support for any sub systems maintained in the Financial Affairs. Troubleshoot and determine if additional technical services are required. Create reporting databases as needed to support FA operations.
• Develop efficient and effective policies and procedures that ensure integrity of financial and administrative applications.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
• Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA) degree
• Understanding of advanced finance and budget principles and key performance indicators; accounting concepts; general accounting principles and ability to create, maintain and analyze P&L
• Deep knowledge of financial system, data management, data structure, data warehouse, report writing.
• Excellence in organizational management with demonstrated ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, multidisciplinary project skills, and innovative approach to business/financial planning.
Preferred/Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
Required Prior Work Experience
• Ten years of experience in a senior role providing financial reporting and Financial Systems & Reporting with progressively increasing experience directly managing teams; with minimum 5 years’ experience with demonstrated success as functional manager of financial systems and delivery of reporting and analytical tools.