The Director will provide leadership in developing the research, educational and outreach activities of the Center for Survey Statistics and Methodology (CSSM). Working closely with its constituent faculty, students and staff, the director will promote the development of opportunities for research in survey statistics and for statistical and methodological collaborations with scientists who use survey data in their research. In addition, the Director will promote collaborative relationships with Survey and Behavioral Research Services (SBRS) that further the academic missions of CSSM and enhance the ability of scientific researchers to perform relevant and statistically appropriate survey research. Working with the Director of the Statistical Laboratory, the Director of SBRS, the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development (VPRED), and colleges, the Director will play a formative role in setting priorities and identifying new initiatives for CSSM that enhance ISU's reputation for innovative research in survey statistics and methodology.
The CSSM mission includes
- Conducting statistical and methodological research that is motivated by real survey problems in scientific disciplines
- Contributing to the underlying theoretical framework of statistical methods for surveys (theoretical research)
- Successfully obtaining externally funded grants and contracts to support research, including individual grants as well as interdisciplinary collaborations with researchers in other scientific disciplines
In addition, CSSM will work with SBRS to:
- Provide CSSM research assistants with direct experiences in the statistical aspects of conducting surveys and exposure to the methodological considerations to deepen their understanding of this field via assignments in SBRS.
- Work with SBRS to offer outreach opportunities on campus to improve understanding of statistical and operational methods for surveys and to offer detailed introductions to specific national surveys that can be used for secondary data analysis in conducting research in economics, health, behavior, demographic changes, natural resources, etc.
To these ends, the position includes the following responsibilities:
1. Promote and coordinate interdisciplinary research in survey statistics.
2. Work with faculty and staff in CSSM, SBRS, Statistics and other researchers to identify and solicit external funding for research in survey statistics and methodology.
3. Collaborate with SBRS to support survey research on campus and the academic interests of CSSM.
4. Work with SBRS to organize effective support for CSSM administrative activities.
5. Oversee the fiscal and personnel resources associated with CSSM.
This position reports to the Director of the Statistical Laboratory, a university resource for study design, data collection, statistical analysis and software support in the office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development.
Tenured faculty member at the rank of Associate or Full Professor with a current appointment at ISU. PhD in Statistics or a related field.
Experience in statistical research related to sample surveys, statistics consulting in surveys, facilitating interdisciplinary collaboration, and writing research proposals to secure external funding.
To be negotiated
This is an internal search open to current Iowa State University tenured faculty members only. The administrative component will be 15% of the faculty member's full PRS. It is a term, administrative appointment with possibility of renewal.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university's verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check. Candidate selected for hire will be subject to a credit history check.
To apply for this position, please click on "Apply for this Vacancy" and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1. letter of application,
2. curriculum vita, and
3. contact information for three references.
Any questions related to this position should be directed to Kenneth Koehler (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you have questions regarding this application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or toll free: 1-877-477-7485.
Iowa State University - 14 months ago