To uphold and maintain the WCS tradition of excellence in animal care and husbandry, exhibitry and guest experience, and maximize the efficient operation of the City Zoos; to interface with all WCS departments and divisions as chief representative and advocate for the City Zoos; to be the primary representative for WCS with the New York City Parks Department in all aspects regarding the operation of the three City Zoos.
1. Direct the daily operations of the Central Park Zoo in the areas of animal management, operations and maintenance, security and horticulture.
2. Ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the animal collections throughout the three City Zoos through the supervision and management of staff responsible for animal care; coordinate animal management issues among all City Zoos to ensure consistent application of animal care practice, policies, and procedures.
3. Ensure the mission of WCS and the husbandry and welfare standards for the animals at the City Zoos are met.
4. Be the chief liaison for the City Zoos in interaction with all WCS divisions and departments.
5. Be a standing member of the Animal Management Committee, the WCS Safety Committee, and other internal and external boards and committees as appropriate or appointed by the EVP and General Director.
6. Ensure a quality guest experience for our patrons at the Central Park Zoo and Prospect Park and Queens Zoos.
7. Coordinate and oversee the creation of the annual operating and capital budgets for the City Zoos in collaboration with the Facility Directors of the Prospect Park and Queens Zoos. Monitor budget variances and monthly expenses with allocations over the course of the budget year.
8. Supervise and provide guidance and advice to the Facility Directors of the Prospect Park and Queens Zoos on management, animal care, collection planning, operations, budget, staffing and related topics, including instituting effective communications processes, regular meetings and regular site visits to each facility.
9. Ensure consistency in the application of WCS policies, procedures, and processes throughout the City Zoos.
10. Represent the three City Zoos to the various agencies and outside organizations as necessary and appropriate.
11. Be the primary information source for PR and other City Zoos media exposure.
12. Represent the City Zoos as negotiator with the HR department on the union negotiations with DC-37.
13. Regularly review the operations of the City Zoos, advising the Facility Directors on accomplishing their on-site roles effectively.
14. As Director of the Central Park Zoo and in concert with the Facility Directors, maintain long-term budgetary, master planning, and exhibit programs for the City Zoos.
15. Ensure the mission of WCS and the husbandry and welfare standards for the animals at the City Zoos are met.
16. Work in concert with WCS divisions to achieve financial support through donations and grants.
- Minimum of seven years experience in upper level management
- Significant experience in animal husbandry and collection care
- Outstanding communication skills
- Marketing and/or public relations experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a diverse staff
- Excellent team building and consensus skills; outstanding interpersonal skills to work effectively with a wide variety of people at all levels
- Excellent judgment and strong decision-making skills
- Experience working with government entities and officials at a local level
- A history of publication in the field of science preferred
- B.A. and Masters degree in the field of science; Ph.D. preferred