As the Director of Communication , you will be charged with the exciting task of leading all strategic and marketing communication initiatives for the newly established School of Professional & Extended Studies (SPExS) at American University in Washington, DC. You will have the rare opportunity to start at the beginning – crafting and implementing marketing and branding strategies of the School in support of its enrollment, business development and marketing goals. Your success will depend on your ability to establish effective internal and external communications with key stakeholders and audiences, your imagination and flexibility.
As Director, you are responsible for managing all communication and marketing activities, through all channels, from conception through execution. Utilizing your creativity and your strong team-leading skills, you will closely collaborate with program directors and other administrative units within the School and across the University to develop integrated marketing plans and materials as well as generate leads, and develop content for media relations. You will manage the School’s website, social media presence, and special events for students, faculty, alumni and key external audiences in the public and private sector, and internationally. You will also need to coordinate and work with external designers, agencies and vendors. To accomplish your objectives, you will manage a small, dedicated, in-house staff in addition to the vendors you identify and hire. You can collaborate with colleagues from the university’s central Marketing and Communication group. The best candidate for this great new opportunity will be data-driven as well as capable of thinking beyond the usual conventions. The Director of Communication will manage the communication budget and improve current processes to build a professional operation.
If you are passionate about all forms of communication, dedicated to the power of higher education to transform lives, are invigorated by start-up type challenges, and are someone who performs best in a collegial work environment among top notch peers, then this position could be the most rewarding move you could make in your career.
A Bachelor's degree is required. A Master's degree in communications, public relations, marketing, or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience is preferred.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in marketing management, advertising, public relations, or related area with a proven track record of developing and executing marketing, communications, and social media plans
- Experience in events planning
- Strong interpersonal and written communication, presentation, and problem solving skills with technical competency in database, design, and publishing software
- Excellent attention to detail with proven ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced, high pressure environment
- Demonstrated leadership competency and ability to develop productive working relationships with multiple constituencies (faculty, staff, students, and alumni)
- Familiarity with a university environment including the organizational and administrative functions of major colleges and universities
- Ability to be a self starter and flexible
- Graphic design experience
This position serves a program focused on life-long learning. The incumbent must address communication and public relations needs for a wide range of populations in terms of age, geographic location and other diverse criteria.
American University - 14 months ago