Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, the Director of Communications and Media Relations will manage the NYRA Communications Department. The Director shall focus on all Corporate Affairs communication activities. The qualified candidate will work closely and collaboratively with the leadership team, internal and external stakeholders, as well as media partners to promote NYRA’s mission of “Meeting the highest standards in thoroughbred racing and equine safety”.
- Develop and implement integrated corporate communications and media strategies, with primary focus on corporate affairs. These include but are not limited to: Board Meetings, Governmental Affairs and Corporate Finance Communications.
- Author media materials (Q&A, talking points, fact sheets, etc.) for use at meetings and conferences, webcasts, and other events.
- Develop emergency and crisis communications plans.
- Act as the NYRA media liaison and company spokesperson at the local, state and national level. Handle inquiries, answer questions and arrange interviews.
- Manage and coordinate all activities related to media coverage of NYRA events and major races, including press conferences, post position draws, and oversight of press box and media credentialing process.
- Specify planning assumptions for department budget.
- College degree in Communications, Journalism, English or related field. Master’s degree a plus.
- 10+ years of strategic PR/Communications experience.
- Experience working in Corporate Communications and/or Governmental Affairs required
- Superior management skills.
- Outstanding relationship-building, collaboration and communication skills.
- Strong experience in crisis management.
- Strong knowledge of regional, state and national non-racing media sector.
- Knowledge of thoroughbred racing desired.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work at all three NYRA racetracks (Aqueduct Racetrack, Belmont Park, and Saratoga Race Course for 7 weeks during the summer) and to work holidays and weekends.
The New York Racing Association, Inc. is a private, non-profit association that owns and operates the three largest racetracks in New York:...