Common Sense Media is the leading independent nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology. We are seeking a Director of Communications to manage the media relations operations for the organization’s consumer, education, policy, and organizational channels.
The Director will report to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and will manage members of the press team and serve as the team leader to internal stakeholders. The director will guide proactive and reactive press strategy, monitor day-to-day activities among the press team, and handle other corporate communications initiatives such as keynotes, presentations, events, white paper development, organizational positioning, etc. Externally, the Director works closely with reporters, editors, producers, conference organizers, as well as content and distribution partners, to secure positive media coverage and external brand awareness of Common Sense Media and its mission.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Manage media relations efforts across all audience channels, including consumer, education, policy, industry, and philanthropic.
- Create press and communications plans related to organizational initiatives and announcements.
- Develop branding and content partnerships with like-minded publications, organizations, and other outlets that can extend Common Sense Media’s reach and awareness into key markets.
- Work with distribution, foundation, and other partners on cross-functional press and communications opportunities.
- Represent communications in cross-functional meetings and events.
- Serve as organizational spokesperson for print, radio, television, and other external events.
- Partner with the Vice President of Marketing and Communications on team building, management, and other programs as assigned.
- Consult on content, including videos, blog posts, advice columns, newsletters and more, that Common Sense shares with external audiences.
- Write organizational press releases, blog posts, and work with executive management on public statements.
- Consult and prepare executive staff for appearances at key conferences, seminars, and other speaking engagements across the country.
- Prepare spokespeople with message points and background information.
- Develop creative and compelling story ideas and pitch to appropriate target outlets.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME
- 10 years of experience at a non-profit or a media company, with a focus on kids or technology preferred
- Must have a strong editorial eye, be media-savvy, and love to pitch
- Experience managing and motivating teams
- Excellent, excellent verbal and written skills
- Familiarity with social media and its role in public relations and marketing
- Excellent people skills; creates rapport and inspires confidence
- Outstanding organizational abilities; must be detail-oriented
- Resourceful and displays initiative
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in busy environment
- Enthusiasm for Common Sense Media’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree required; Communications, Journalism, Education, Political Science, or related field. Master’s degree a plus.
THE X FACTOR
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, and collaborative
- You are organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines
- You are inspired by the Common Sense Media mission
- You have a great sense of humor – even when meeting tough deadlines
WHAT WE OFFER
- A chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
- Rich, rich benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, a matching 401(k) plan, and - we’re not done yet – a gym membership
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids this generation and the next!