SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing over 17,000 state workers, publicly funded but privately employed workers, and Family Childcare Providers in Massachusetts. This position will direct Local 509′s Communications program, including internal and external communications.
Example of Duties:
- Will maintain and create content for the Local 509 website ( www.seiu509.org ).
- Will be the editor (including layout) of the Local 509 news (published at least 4 times per year) and will assist Chapters of 509 with Chapter publications.
- Will enhance Local 509′s social media program (facebook, twitter, ect.).
- Will be the primary press contact for SEIU Local 509.
- Will help in production of all written materials, including those for the Organizing, Political, and other departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Works under the supervision of the President/Executive Director
Communications Director may supervise interns directly and may provide functional supervision for other employees and/or members in communications matters.
Salary ranges from $56,000-$64,000 depending on experience and Local 509 offers an excellent benefit package.
- 3-5 years experience designing and implementing a communications program for a union, progressive candidate/elected official, and/or grassroots organization.
- Demonstrated strong writing ability and the ability to communicate the union's goals, visions, and messages
- Ability to speak and present to various size audiences.
- Strong computer skills.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends, including travel throughout the state and some out of state travel.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Publisher or Adobe InDesign.
- Ability to produce short videos preferred.
- Commitment to progressive social change.
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer.