CarMax, a Fortune 100 “Best Companies to Work For” nine years in a row and the nation’s leading used car retailer, is seeking a Director of Corporate Strategy. The Director of Corporate Strategy is responsible for leading development and mobilization of strategies to ensure ongoing market competitiveness and organizational excellence. Lead integrated, continuous, corporate strategic and annual business planning process with regular exposure to senior executives and CEO. Constantly evaluate CarMax’s unique position within its industry and advocate for proactive movements as necessary to take advantage of trends and respond to new developments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Lead ongoing cross-functional effort to define/develop and enhance corporate strategic direction and corporate prioritization.
2. Continually assess corporate strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats and promote actionable proposals to address them.
3. Identify new organizational capabilities necessary to sustain long-term competitive advantage and growth.
4. Collaborate with business leaders to translate corporate strategy into aligned, cross functional plans and tactical initiatives.
5. Support integration of the strategic plan with the annual operating budget.
6. Build communication plan to develop awareness and secure commitment to the strategic plan across all levels of the organization.
7. Develop and manage processes to monitor and report on progress against key initiatives in the strategic plan.
Business Development/Special Projects
8. Drive identification, evaluation, and recommendation of new business environment – competitive threats, industry trends, etc.
9. Effectively build management awareness of key trends, and drive discussion about recommended responses.
10. Identify or respond to requests for strategic partnerships with outside companies and groups and advise leadership through decision making, initiation, negotiation, and execution of any such partnerships.
Team development and growth
11. Develop an efficient and effective team to accomplish the group’s imperatives.
12. Develop strategy analysts into well-rounded business problem solvers, strategic planners, and leaders.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to function effectively across entire strategy life-cycle:
• Develop robust corporate strategy
• Translate into an actionable plan and mobilize organization
• Ability to manage/monitor implementation of the plan
• Demonstrated ability to deliver results on complex and cross-functional projects.
• Analyze, interpret, and make recommendations concerning CarMax’s position within the broader context of the auto industry and the retail sector in the short term (1-2 yrs), medium term (3-5 yrs), and long term (5-10 yrs).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• MBA/Masters degree or demonstrable equivalent experience
• 3 – 5 years post-MBA with top tier consultancy or in corporate strategy function at Fortune 500 company.
• Proven success in strategic planning
• Experience working effectively with senior management, particularly with a record of success at selling new ideas.
• Relevant experience in a growth retailer
• Experience managing highly analytical projects and people
CarMax - 15 months ago