The Director of Creative Services is an inter-departmental role that leads all marketing initiatives for the organization, guiding the “corporate voice.” The Director of Creative Services is responsible for managing collaborative projects, leading all phases of the creative process for all of NA’s internal and external communication, as well as establishing design direction and guidelines. This is a hands-on position that requires both leadership and strong contribution to the projects on a daily basis. The Director is actively involved and participates in creative work, both digital and print executions. In addition, the Director is responsible to maintain and evolve the brand guidelines that govern the creative elements. Finally, the Director not only ensures the department runs effectively, but creates an environment that inspires creativity and the best design and copy from his/her team.
Managing a team of writers, designers, and outside vendors, the Creative Services Director reports to the Director of Marketing & Communications and serves as a member of the Aquarium Management Team. Creative Services is a strategic partner to the Marketing Department, the Executive Office and other Aquarium groups.
Key Requirements include:
• Develop and deliver thought leadership and creative solutions that strengthen NA’s market distinction and leadership position
• Examine all aspects of a design problem and provide elegant solutions while maintaining a beautiful and usable aesthetic that supports the NA brand.
• Represent the creative team and its work to others.
• Guide the “corporate voice,” including management of the CEO’s writing needs, such as speech writing.
• Mix ideas, push concepts, and find the best way to meet the project needs with sophisticated design.
• Develop and guide implementation of creative concepts for varied internal clients, assuring the professional design standards are developed and implemented.
• Ensure that the strategic direction of projects is in line with NA objectives and business plans.
• Analyze, create, and produce high quality and business relevant marketing communications and creative treatments for internal and external stakeholders, including employees, donors, members, visitors, and leaders.
• Collaborate with other team members to ensure optimal brand standards are maintained and innovative creative solutions are successfully delivered on time and on budget.
• Inspire and guide a team of designers and writers to creative excellence as both a mentor and a contributor
• Foster teamwork with designers and writers to set an environment conducive to idea exchange, support and fun
• Interact effectively with all levels of management and staff
• Understand business context and goals for creative efforts
• Solid understanding and appreciation for the distinction between creative expression and business objectives
• Direct and execute online graphic design projects such as site merchandising, newsletters and promotions, and offline projects such as supplier information
• 5+ years experience supervising a creative team
• Bachelor's degree in communications, design or equivalent training and education
• Proven ability to identify, hire, and retain top talent, both internal staff and external contractors
• Outstanding interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate clearly and concisely and a willingness to share ideas with individuals at all levels
• Exceptional copywriting skills
• Demonstrable initiative and creativity, excellence with originating ideas, anticipating and implementing next steps, generating improvement opportunities and translating new ideas into workable solutions
• Strong problem solving skills, ability to understand and identify key strategic issues, and develop creative design solutions to assignments
• Experience enforcing branding/identity style guide
• Thorough familiarity with latest Adobe Creative Suite software, including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
• Working knowledge of Adobe Flash, Actionscript, HTML, DHTML, third party ad serving technologies such as DoubleClick and printing techniques
• Highly organized, with strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects and meet tight deadlines
• Experience managing/leading design teams throughout a project lifecycle. Experience with project management software essential (QuickBase experience a plus).
• Expertise with both Windows and Mac platforms.
National Aquarium in Baltimore - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard -