IPA seeks a passionate, dynamic and experienced Director of Development with a proven track record of success raising the profile and resources of an organization. The Director of Development will be responsible for developing and overseeing all of the organization's marketing, communications and fundraising strategies to build and expand IPA’s visibility and financial resources. S/he will maintain IPA’s focus on an ambitious resource development plan that includes doubling unrestricted funding by 2015. The Director of Development will report to and work in partnership with the Executive Director and will be a key member of the Senior Leadership Team. The position will engage with a team of senior IPA staff and also lead a team of three people and manage its expansion over time.
The ideal candidate is passionate about IPA’s mission and thinks strategically, has exceptional interpersonal skills, a good understanding of the funding landscape and a demonstrated ability to close deals with donors.
This is an exciting time in IPA’s history: we are constructing a five-year strategic plan with big goals and aspirations, which will enable us to understand and promote programs and policies that improve the lives for the poor. This position is ideal for professionals who are interested in working on cutting-edge development research in a dynamic environment and building fund-raising capacity and systems for a fast growing organization. The position will also provide the opportunity for frequent travel (at least 50% of the time), mostly domestic but occasionally international.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Development and implementation of IPA’s Fundraising strategy
Development and implementation of IPA’s Communications, Marketing and Public Relations Strategy
- Working closely with the Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer and Fund Raising Committee, establish short- and long-term goals for unrestricted funding and funding for new strategic activities of at least $3M annually, growing to $6M annually after two years.
- Develop a strategy and plan for achieving those goals with an outline of key target audiences (including foundations, multilateral aid agencies, corporations and high net worth individuals), outreach and messaging strategies for each.
- Develop and grow IPA’s individual donor base: identify high net worth individuals, customize their experience with IPA and close deals.
- Represent IPA to funding partners, including individual, foundation and corporate executives and participate in and support special projects and events.
Professional, organizational and systems development
- Develop an understanding of IPA’s comparative advantage in the development sector and its positioning with key stakeholders.
- Based on this understanding, create an appropriate positioning of IPA and oversee the development of a comprehensive marketing strategy to strengthen the IPA brand.
- Oversee the production of various communications mediums (website, newsletters, annual reports, etc.) and identify new and creative opportunities for external communications capitalizing on key timely research findings, market trends, and potential strategic alignments.
- Oversees the cultivation and development of relationships with journalists, bloggers, and high profile individuals such as celebrities who are interested in supporting effective and high impact anti-poverty efforts.
Board of Directors Liaison
- Lead, manage and mentor the existing team staff of three and continue to expand structure and professionally develop the team as needed.
- Provide coaching, training and tools to other leadership team members as well as senior staff to improve IPA’s positioning with external audiences and fund raising capacity throughout the organization.
- Lead the improvement of our fund raising efforts’ efficiency by enhancing our use of the donor database utilizing Salesforce.com and maintaining resources on fund raising.
- Attend quarterly Board meetings on the phone or in person and provide progress reports on fundraising events and activities; provide other reports and statements as requested.
- Serve as staff liaison for the Board Fund Raising Committee and work closely with the Committee Chair to motivate, guide and support the Committee’s work.
- Develop and manage Board fundraising capacity, by supporting IPA’s Board of Trustees in their fundraising responsibilities and act as a resource for developing best practices.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Board in identifying new Board members who can contribute to increase IPA’s fund raising capacity.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset
- 8-plus years of professional experience in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources) and/or sales or business development experience in a service industry or with a nonprofit.
- Passionate about international development and IPA’s mission.
- Good understanding of the funding landscape and experience raising resources from a variety of sources including Foundations.
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, pursue, cultivate, and close deals with new individual donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire and engage a wide range of funders and stakeholders.
- A first class communicator, with the ability to effectively position the organization and to communicate its vision and plans to a range of audiences.
- The ability to take a broad, strategic view of the issues affecting the organization’s role in the development sector and the long term impact of decisions.
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills with the ability to deliver results in fundraising and marketing with and through teams.
- Knowledge of the legislation, regulations and financial issues relating to fundraising preferred.
- Experience working with the international development sector preferred.
- Ability to travel at least 50% of the time and to spend 2 or 3 days a week in New Haven when not traveling, and to work occasional evenings and weekends for meetings and events.
Please follow the application instructions below. Any applications or CVs submitted outside this process will not be considered. Note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
1) Send an email to email@example.com , following these instructions exactly:
Please do not include any text besides your name in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: 100997IPAUSA, Director of Development
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name
- Attachments: Please attach ONLY your cover letter and resume
2. Fill out our EEO-1 Voluntary Self Identification Form .
IPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer.
All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the Director of Development . The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com .