Director of Development
Big Brothers Big Sisters' mission is to help children in need reach their highest potential through professionally supported, one-to-one mentoring relationships.
- Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Development will be a dynamic, visionary, creative development professional responsible for maintaining current funding sources and catalyzing revenue growth at Nutmeg Big Brothers Big Sisters. The Director of Development will facilitate a fund development plan that identifies donors, prospects, and alumni volunteers and enhances the short- and long-term diversified funding base for the agency. This position works closely with staff members, board members, and other volunteers to increase annual giving, alumni relations, event support and other funding sources.
Overtime Status: Exempt
- Determine and implement strategies for meeting measurable goals in annual giving, alumni relations, and special events.
- Develop and implement a strategic annual giving program that includes direct mail, electronic appeals, and event sponsorships.
- Work collaboratively with the CEO, director of programs, director of marketing, grants administrator and others to identify and develop opportunities for program expansion.
- Develop and implement activities to identify and cultivate prospective major donors and develop a major donors strategy, working with the CEO and key volunteers.
- Identify and implement alumni communications and events that are outcome-based and identify and engage a broad base of the alumni population.
- Manage the planning and implementation of the organizations major fundraisers, currently a golf event and the annual gala.
- Increase volunteer structures in support of alumni activities and events.
- Play a key role on the agency management team.
- Supervise development assistant.
- Ensure an effective performance management system for all direct reports, current and future, which includes annual objective setting, coaching, feedback, and evaluation.
- Provide oversight to ensure that the agency donor database is accurate and up-to-date.
- Ensure pledges are collected from individuals, and public and private entities, and appropriate acknowledgments and other communications are facilitated.
- Provide support, direction, and leadership development opportunities to the board development committee, the events committees, the alumni association committee and other key volunteers.
- Assist the CEO, director of programs, and agency accountants and budget managers in developing departmental budgets and income projections; monitor and report on progress/changes related to budgets and operational plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience
- Four - five years of experience in a development/annual fund/alumni relations environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage constituent giving programs
- Volunteer management and event planning skills and experience preferred
- Understanding of grants planning, writing and reporting preferred but not required
- Ability to lead, establish strategic objectives, develop work-plans and execute such plans
- Ability to set priorities and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment as well as independently
- Strong personal and professional integrity; must be able to handle confidential information
- Ability perform well in a fast-paced, multi-task work environment
- Ability to travel within Connecticut, and to work at evening and weekend events on occasion
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet and database management; preference for Raiser’s Edge (including query skills) or comparable donor data-base
- Strong oral and written communication/presentation skills, including the ability to articulate Nutmeg Big Brothers Big Sisters’ inspiring mission and vision
- A performance-driven personal and management style
Indeed - 13 months ago