About San Diego State University
San Diego State University is one of 23 campuses of the California State University system and is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region and the third largest in the state of California. Founded in 1897, SDSU students can choose from 85 undergraduate majors, 75 master's programs and 14 joint doctoral degree programs and two independent doctoral degree programs.
The Director of Development reports to the Associate Vice President for University Development and is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing a major gift program for university-wide initiatives at SDSU.
The Director will oversee the process of identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gift prospects for identified priorities and initiatives. The incumbent will focus primarily on individuals and will work in cooperation with academic unit development directors to maximize the gift potential of those prospects.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent organizational skills, oral/written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to utilize computer applications and databases to correspond, prepare written materials and manage time/work flow.
Experience and Education
• A bachelor's degree in a relevant field or a combination of education and experience.
• A minimum of five or more years of experience in major gift fundraising.
• Success in major gift fund-raising ($100,000+) that demonstrates ability to align strategy development/implementation with pre-approved goals/priorities.
• Proven experience in all facets of development including: gift administration, gift acceptance, prospect management, research, annual giving, volunteer management and communications.
• Demonstrated success as a development professional in a donor-centered fund-raising environment.
• Ability to thrive in an environment of change.
• Demonstrated ability to make complex decisions, problem-solve and serve as an effective team member.
• Demonstrated success in providing volunteer leadership.
• A high degree of commitment to higher education and philanthropy.
• Ability to handle competing priorities in a complex development environment.
• Ability to represent San Diego State and University Development in a positive manner on campus and with external constituencies.
• Must have the ability to travel and attend off-campus appointments and events.
• May, on occasion, be required to attend events or perform duties outside of normal work hours.
• Fund-raising experience in a large, complex university.
• Demonstrated success with comprehensive and/or capital campaigns.
• Appropriate advanced degree.
• Planned giving experience.
• Demonstrated transferable skills will be considered.
The competitive salary offered to the selected candidate is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
For a complete position description and application instructions please visit
and search for
Job ID #5016
Review of applications will begin on Tuesday, March 5, 2013; position will
remain open until filled
. The on-line application should be completed in detail. COMPLETION OF THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED FOR CONSIDERATION, A RESUME ALONE WILL NOT SUFFICE.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available at
. Applicants with disabilities requiring special attention and/or interview arrangements may call (619) 594-7099.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Council for Advancement & Support of Education
- 2 years ago - save job