The Director of Development will report jointly to the Senior Vice President for Development Operations and the Northeast Regional Director. To carry out his/her responsibilities, it will be important that this professional work closely and effectively with other TCB staff members. This includes from Finance, Legal, Property Management, Accounting & Finance, and Ways and Means who will provide input and support throughout the development process.
The primary responsibility of the Director is to supervise the implementation of real estate development projects from initial conception through construction, to rent-up and stabilized occupancy or sale. The Director supports the work of the Development Project Managers who coordinate, and have the responsibility for all aspects of a development project, and are responsible for the quality, timeliness, and profitability of the project.
Director’s Key Priorities:
- Partner with the SVP Development Operations to ensure that all development projects within the Region are designed, financed and constructed in a manner which is consistent with TCB goals, standards and underwriting guidelines.
- Partner with the Regional Director to ensure that the pipeline of new work is consistent with TCB goals and objectives and that human and financial resources of the Region are efficiently leveraged, shared, and capacities are fully utilized.
- Strategize and collaborate with Regional Director on ways to use current projects and networks as a catalyst for new prospects.
- Be a resource to Project Managers on technical issues surrounding development projects at various stages of completion.
- Ensure that your team has the resources they need from the rest of the organization that will enable them to do their job more effectively.
- Facilitate strong communication and collaboration between the field and support groups internally, such as the Legal, Finance and Construction teams.
- Make sure the Project Management team is aligned with all corporate objectives.
- Travel to various cities within the region on a regular basis to monitor the progress of different projects.
- Be the key contact in all applications with agencies/government. Act as the point person and signatory on all project-level documents.
Lead and coach a team of Project Managers who are responsible for:
- Ensure that all Project Managers and other regional development staff (new and current) receive the appropriate training to reach TCB standards. Develop yearly individual employee action plans and monitor performance quarterly. Perform annual and periodic reviews of employee performance.
- Develop and maintain effective methods of communication with site teams and residents ensuring distribution of TCB corporate news, site specific news, and all other information, as necessary.
- Responsible for establishing TCB as a “best practices” real estate practitioner in each market.
- Act as a “Player/Coach” for the project managers and run interference as needed.
- Review team’s activities – establish priorities and where Project Managers may need help and/or additional resources.
- Delineate roles on new projects and manage staff to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Contribute to TCB’s reputation for integrity, relationship orientation and overall excellence.
Management’s Definition of Success for an Outstanding Performer:
- Project initiation (site analysis & selection, financial feasibility, schedule & budget, and maintaining political support).
- Project determination (financial structure, funding commitments, cost estimates, establishment of project pro forma, due diligence).
- Public approvals.
- Project design (architect/engineer development, plans & specs, set-up of requisition system). The project manager also ensures that Property Management department requirements are met and that Human Services planning is continuous throughout the project.
- Construction preparation and management, and managing the closing.
- A mature professional with creativity, initiative, and the breadth of real estate development experience to “hit the ground running.”
- A polished, articulate, and savvy professional who will represent TCB in the marketplace in a first class fashion. Capable of promoting the organization to a variety of sophisticated audiences.
- Ability to oversee the structuring of complex financial transactions so as to maximize both social and financial returns and manage corporate risk.
- Improve efficiencies and workflow processes that will eliminate redundancies and improve productivity, and increase on-time delivery of real estate projects.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills. Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and work autonomously.
- Value and possess experience building highly effective cross-functional teams.
- An innovative thinker and a creative problem solver who identifies and resolves customer issues before they escalate.
- Bring a results-oriented, can-do attitude with a professional discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate customer service standards into all employee job responsibilities.
- Experience and track record of valuing diversity to ensure multi-talented team strengths.
- Proven ability to identify employee “opportunities for growth” and provide the resources necessary to excel.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to roll up his/her sleeves, be “hands-on”, and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including experience making effective public presentations. Possess a flexible communication style and ability to work with multiple audiences.
- An individual who is organized, detail-oriented, has a sense of urgency and constantly asks, "How can we improve, be the best in the business, and how can I best support this organization?"
- Flexible, with the ability to work as a team player and relate well to colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Being smart and having a good sense of humor are both important qualities!
- A successful record of team leadership, supervision, and staff development. Ability to create synergy and spirit of inclusion among a diverse employee base to build a dynamic and high performing team.
- An individual with experience in all aspects of the development process including planning, permitting, design, construction, underwriting, and finance.
- Demonstrated experience in structuring the financing of complex, sustainable, mixed-income residential transactions.
- Several years of progressively responsible experience in affordable housing development including experience providing supervision to development staff.
- Previous experience shepherding deals from concept through the entire deal life cycle is important.
- Having closed several Low Income Housing Tax Credit funded projects is a must and having been involved in any multi-phased development transactions in a public/private partnership environment would be a plus.
- A knowledge of state and local politics and government planning and resource allocation processes. Evidence of establishing effective relationship building with town officials, planning boards and neighborhood groups.
- The ideal candidate will have a Masters Degree in Real Estate, City Planning, or related disciplines.
The Community Builders - 20 months ago